Youtube - Car Wizard - Tollkeeper?

Mektek

Original poster
May 2, 2017
FL
I just watched a tube video of the worst SUVs and the Trailblazer was criticized by the Car Wizard. Tollkeeper posted in defense of the TB - was that the same person as on this site?
The Car Wizard is usually pretty good. For the average driver an old gmt360 is not the best choice, but for someone that treats it as a hobby it's OK. Parts are reasonably priced in general and there are many alternatives to the gm recommended procedures that make things much easier.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
Got a link to the Youtube video?

Edit.....found it. CW mentions the TB only briefly at 11:35 in the video. He doesn't say much other than they are typically 'clapped' out when they get older. Also compares them to being like the Chev Cavilier of the GM SUV world. I'd have to agree with him.

YT LINK.

tbyt.JPG

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
You should see the whining about it on one of the GMT360 Facebook pages. You'd think he tried to poke their mum FFS.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Comment I left;

Your biggest gripes about the TrailBlazer is the interior and being clapped out? Really? Here's a solution... don't buy one that's clapped out! There's still good examples of these, and its clones (Envoy, Rainier, 9-7x, etc) floating around. They're not immune to problems but are far lower than the others you rightly enumerated. As far as the HVAC actuators are concerned, the only one that's inaccessible without removing the dash is the recirc which RARELY fails. The others are replaceable with at most an hour's work.

All the others he outed with actual recurring mechanical issues and he complains about the interior. It's like anything else, you can tell how well it's been maintained by looking at it.

Reactions: Redbeard

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
That was me.. But he is very contradictive. In another video he recommends a Buick Rainier. Last I checked, thats the same truck.

Maybe I am just lucky, but "Wizard" says the interior falls apart. I have not had this issue. I did replace my center console, but thats because I thought it just pulled out, not knowing it was bolted down.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I think the interior falling apart he was referring to was the 95-08 dodges. :tongue: and maybe the 07 up gm trucks...

freddyboy61

Dec 4, 2011
I had a 2004 Envoy XL since 2007 (just sold it 2 months ago). I was very happy with it, not too many issues besides normal wear & tear things. Like was said, it all depends on how well or bad they are taken care of.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I enjoy the CW’s repair videos but, his reviews are biased and generally not based on real world data.
As an example, he comes down on GM’s 3.6 V6 as being a bad engine because he works on so many ….DUH! ….GM puts them in everything so yeah, you will see more of those and those problems are usually caused by owner neglect of engine oil.
I’m on my third 3.6 vehicle and they have been great.

KWG2005

Sep 6, 2023
Nashville
Seems like an old thread but has been revived. On a personal antidote, an older couple at church has a 2009 TB and have just over 240k miles, and he has had no major repairs. They have owned it since either new, or close to new. They are early 80s and I get the impression that he services everything perfectly. The truck is in perfect condition, paint is always clean and waxed, and he has all the window guards, bug deflectors etc on it. Also my brother has one. He just put a new transmission in it at close to 200k miles, but that trans has never been serviced, at least since he's owned it. Once I get my new engine in, I hope to get at least another 200k on mine. If I can just get my cylinder head back from the 2nd machine shop.... :-(

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online