You think we have it rough on aftermarket radios.

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
So alot of folks think that our radio harness is expensive,well while I was at the auto show I noticed something on a very popular chevrolet model if you want an aftermarket stereo in a camaro Try $200-$300 to even consider it. If you have been in a new camaro you will notice that the radio is a jumbled mess with the AC controls and to put a new stereo in you basically replace an entire dash piece instead of a radio trim piece.Crazy Stuff but I am seeing more and more cars that a dash piece like this would be necessary.
Scosche GM5201B
Scosche GM5201B Single/Double DIN Dash Kit 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
View attachment 19017

Replacing this basically
[EBAY]170751330959[/EBAY]

Just my fun fact of the day.

Attachments

• gm5201b.jpg
    gm5201b.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 80

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
This harness comes with a lot more then what ours would! I know mine was just to fit the HU in. This one has the climate control etc!

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Yeah But It Sucks in the fact there is not a straight radio only bezel thats your option atleast $150 was the cheapest I saw and thats just dash bezel they still charge you for the actually "harness"

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
ItsOnVoy said:
This harness comes with a lot more then what ours would! I know mine was just to fit the HU in. This one has the climate control etc!

i think that was the point... more and more vehicles are making it harder and harder to mod and upgrade... its like the old ZX2's, where you had to buy a whole new dash piece due to the HVAC just to add an aftermarket HU...it looks like the Camaro's are the same way...

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
That dash kit cost more then my head unit:rotfl::crazy:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
Boricua SS said:
i think that was the point... more and more vehicles are making it harder and harder to mod and upgrade... its like the old ZX2's, where you had to buy a whole new dash piece due to the HVAC just to add an aftermarket HU...it looks like the Camaro's are the same way...

I agree!! They are making cars much harder to mod yourself lately! Also more expensive too! They want you to go to the dealership to be able to do something because they need to make there money some how! The German cars are the worst!! They are very hard to play with

STLtrailbSS

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
MAY03LT said:
That dash kit cost more then my head unit:rotfl::crazy:
My thoughts exactly! If you buy a "simple" HU your looking at $415-$450 Minimum craziness

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Dealers LOVE it when the designers throw them a bone with a difficult-to-modify design. Why else would they stick it to us with the 6X5" bolt pattern? And now radios that are so integrated to the dash and the communication bus that they will kill the host when removed.

View attachment 19020

Attachments

• alien-facehugger-on-kane.jpg
    alien-facehugger-on-kane.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 64

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
:iagree: Its virtually impossible in just about every car unless you want to go to extremes in what you have to do and expense.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
At least the good thing is the stock head units are not utter piles of crap anymore like they used to be...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online