YOKE Leaking

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
Hey guys,
so i thought i had a rear pinion seal leak, and after i brought it into work and had my mechanic look at it, the rear differential casing is dry and the oil appears to be leaking from the yoke. I'm going to have to order up a new yoke, but is there anything else i should be replacing as well to ensure it wont leak again? also this being a not very common leak should i be concerned that there might be a bigger problem hidding behind the cause of this leak??

Thanks for the help

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
First I've heard of a leaky yoke in 7 years. All I know of in the yoke is u-joint bearings, and those can be changed without replacing the metal part of the yoke. I don't see how it can anything other than the pinion seal allowing diff oil to escape. If I'm missing something, can you describe it?

What I think is the yoke is item #33, and it bolts to #12, the pinion.

View attachment 21939

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 15

98tsiawd

Original poster
Apr 4, 2012
the diff housing is dry, and the only oil coming out is throught the center of the yoke at the bolt and washer #34 and #35. this leak started about 1 1/2 months ago. when i first looked at it i thought it was kinda weird that the oil was coming from the center of the yoke, all the pinion seals leaks I've come across the oil has leaked down and gone across the bottom of the diff from front to back. my leak is coming from the center of the yoke and is lubricating the underneath of my truck as the drive shaft spins, the leak isnt small (sweating) its leaving a drop of oil on my drive way every other day. after doing some research on here, i changed the oil in the diff to amsoil, it's been a month now and no change.

we didnt have the parts today to change the yoke, so my mechanic mentioned in the past on other vehicle somtimes you can get away with sticking silcone behine the nut and washer, so i figured it was worth a shot. so he did that, however he mentioned to me when he took the nut off it came off surprisingly easy, almost to easy. I've had this truck for just over 2 years and it has 210,000 kms on it and I've never had any work done on the diff other then new axle seals, so there shouldnt be any reason why it wouldnt be tight, or am i wrong in thinking that?

I appreciate the help

Vern

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher