YO! Whas up bishes!

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
OK, just kidding. It's been a long time since I've been here. Had problems with the Envoy a while back and had to get rid of it. Got a $500 clunker that had been t-boned but it ran fine other than rain getting in. It was a 2001 Mercury Sable wagon with less than 60K on the odometer. 2 years later I replaced it with a 1999 Taurus wagon. Virtually the exact same car but the better motor and no damage. It's been almost 2 years now for that one, and I'm in a better spot in a lot of ways. Now, I've found and am looking at another GMT360. It's a 9-7X with the 5.3. A little over 100K miles.

Haven't looked around to see who is still here. Hope everyone is well and safe.

MCSteven

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Welcome back! Some new names and some old ones dropped out.

If you're serious about a Saab, just be aware, it's an oddball for some stuff but is a nicer truck IMHO.

Reactions: mcsteven and Mounce

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
welcome back

Reactions: mcsteven

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
They always return :grouphug:

The saab's are nice but I have heard (from Mooseman) that parts can be a doozy to find unless it's just motor/trans parts. I think I've only ever seen two of them, rare machines.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I love the wheelwells of the Saab. The round just look good,

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Agreed. Unfortunately mine has the rusties but I'm thinking of getting it fixed. No longer using it in winter, mostly relegated to towing the RV in the summer with its 5.3. I still like this truck.

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Any one have some insight? For durability, maintenance, etc. I’m wondering about the 5.3 versus the 4.2. I’m not worried about modifications, torque, etc. just lack of problems and less or cheaper maintenance.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think they're both equal except for one thing, torque if you're towing. The 4.2 is more abundant for parts in yards but most parts from any LS engine will work on the 5.3. Reliability is about the same. Some things are easier to do on the 4.2, like the starter, or the intake and injectors on the 5.3. Each has their quirks and weak points like the VVT on the 4.2 and the DOD on the 5.3.

Fun factor is more with the 5.3. All else being equal, I'd go with the 5.3 (or 6.0 :biggrin: )

Reactions: mcsteven and Mounce

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
5.3 All day for me. I got lucky in buying my 2004, not even knowing about the DOD at the time. Still the best vehicle I have ever owned.

I am actively hunting down a Rainier 5.3 or 9-7x 5.3. Althou A Envoy or TB will do. Will do a DOD delete mod.

The 9-7x does have its own party quirks. Loosing cup holder for key, cup holder next to radio are almost always broke, and impossible to replace. But on the up side, you have the option for the 2 disc nav system (important to me). The Saab got the G86 Limited Slip vs the others getting the G80 Locker (except the TBSS). Under the skin its still a GMT 360. And my understandings is the 9-7x also has a more Saab Specific Computer, so can be problematic in some programming.

I want a 9-7x (I love the looks), But I think the Rainier is a bit better (more widely available, and better parts interchangeability).

mcsteven

Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
I think they're both equal except for one thing, torque if you're towing.
The most I'll be towing would be a motorcycle, snowmobile, or if helping someone move.

Fun factor is more with the 5.3. All else being equal, I'd go with the 5.3 (or 6.0 :biggrin: )
I found an Aero with decent miles and have an appointment to see it. It's a dealership and with this health crisis I'm hoping they're more willing to make deals. I'm a lot more willing to look at the Saab vs the TBSS. I worry more about the TBSS being beaten or amateurly modified where the Saab I get the feeling was more adult (with more money) owned.

I am actively hunting down a Rainier 5.3 or 9-7x 5.3. Althou A Envoy or TB will do. Will do a DOD delete mod.
I've been thinking about a Rainier as well. This one is not for me, but anyone who wants a low priced ride and can add a little work to it.... 200K+ miles, and the driver's seat is pretty rough. No idea about the rest of it or the seller. https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-for-sale/listing/5GAET13P042192091/2004-buick-rainier/

Saab Specific Computer, so can be problematic in some programming.... I want a 9-7x (I love the looks), But I think the Rainier is a bit better (more widely available, and better parts interchangeability).
I don't think I'll have to do any mods where I'm going to flash the computer. Most of the stuff I'll do will likely be LEDs, stereo, and other simple stuff. I love the looks of the Saab as well.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I had a chance to scoop am Aero at a decent price and still regret it to this day. All it needed was an exhaust manifold. I think my 9-7x with the 5.3 (tuned) is a riot. I could have just imagined it with a 6.0!

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
Theres actually quite a few Aero's on the market right now. A low mileage one here in Denver, but price tag at 15k is stupid! There are a couple on ebay also. Theres a cheaper one on Craigslist, but it needed work (like a lot of work with the high miles).

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online