Yellow Dip Stick Dilemma

Joe_67

Aug 9, 2022
Central Virginia
B. But anywhere in there is just fine. (Including the fact that it will read slightly differently if it's just been running, then if it has sat for a while, like overnight).

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
As Joe said, B.

If you find yourself in a junk yard, check other 360's for the wire type dipstick, much easier to read.

Reactions: Mooseman

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
I'll disagree. The three lines indicate the level - bottom line is low and top line is full.
It's perfectly OK to run it at L. You still have approximately six quarts at that level so nothing to worry about.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The metal one is actually clearer and has actual hash marks. However, on the plastic one, I vote B but really anywhere above L is fine.

Redbeard

Jan 26, 2013
Might the owners manual show a photo of full on the dipstick? Another thought is upon the next oil change check to see level on the dipstick. Just make sure you are on level ground where you do this and at least let the engine run for a bit to fill the oil filter up. Then let it sit for a time for the oil to return to the oil pan.
just my 2¢

Reactions: xavierny25

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
The owners manual shows a diagram of the dip stick but does not indicate where the true "full" level is. It just says something like fill to the F mark. I know the Atlas 4.2 is supposed to take 7 quarts but that seems to put it just above the "B" level and I didn't know if that was overfilling. The plastic end is always very difficult to read. I'll be grabbing a metal one the next time I'm at a parts yard.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online

No members online now.