XM Satellite in 03 TB?

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
I've searched and read about all the "bastard radio" problems concerning the 02-03 Trailblazer and inability to simply install an 04+ head unit with the band button because (assuming here) the 02-03 BCM(?) cannot "talk" to a newer head unit. So, to be sure here... Tech II pro's cannot program an 02-03 BCM to communicate with an 04+ band button head unit? No 02-03 BCM update/upgrade capabilities? Another question is has anybody tried to retrofit an 04+ BCM into an 02-03 Trailblazer? Or is this not possible either due to communication with other modules in other years? Just wondering how far down the rabbit hole 02-03 TB owners have been trying to upgrade to 04+ creature comforts.
Thanks,
Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
You would have to look up part numbers for the BCM's and if they match, they can be re-programmed. And if it is the same part number, you could just reprogram yours but you would need the VIN from a similar vehicle with the same options. Mixing years like this could prove to be impossible to mix and match options year to year.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
It can be done but you need to replace the head unit with one from an 03-05 full size truck, like an Escalade. Have the VIN reprogrammed, then you can add the Sirius module.

I just added an aftermarket Sirius tuner and hooked it up with a hardwired FM modulator.

The only other alternative (which I will be doing eventually) is to replace the HU with an aftermarket one that supports Sirius.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Hey Matt,
What I'm going to try and do is install the factory XM module. I would prefer a factory head unit (non-Bose) with the "band" button. I got a complete XM system from an 04 TB (from antenna to module still bolted to kick panel + 2ft of pigtail) from a local Pull-N-Save for $15. I can go back and get the rest of the wiring from the XM to the head unit. Plan was to wire everything in as it came from the factory. BUT, I need the "band" button head unit... AND it must be able to communicate with the BCM.

So, you are saying an 03-05 full size truck head unit (reprogrammed) with a "band" button will function properly? I can't find anywhere on the internet where someone has successfully retrofitted factory XM in an 03 TB.

And I'm doing the cluster/DIC/steering wheel conversion too... so if I could get both upper steering wheel controls to properly operate the radio that would be icing on the cake :biggrin:

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Thanks Matt... appreciate the link... will head to junkyard to see if I can find one of those part numbers and see if I can get it to work.

Reactions: Matt

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Good luck to you mate.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Matt,
I now have a GM 15184935. I have a Tech2 / TIS2000. I have tried to reprogram the radio using Tech2 / TIS2000 and it basically says my VIN is incompatible, that if I want to proceed I need a VCI. In your research did you run into this? I think because the VIN in the radio and my 03 TB VIN do not match the Tech 2 does not simply give me the option to unlock. Help?
Thanks,
Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How about programming it as a new radio? Did that for an '05 PCM that I loaded with '06 software.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
When I get into the Tech2 - Diagnostics/Body/BCM/Radio/Special Functions the only option I have is to pull the info from the radio to send to TIS2000/SPS - part of the remote method. With TIS2000 I then try to pull that data from the Tech2 so that I can reprogram radio (replace/reprogram) as if it were new. That is when I get an error in TIS2000 stating the VIN is invalid for the radio data being pulled from the Tech2 and the only option is VCI. I'll see if I can screen capture what I'm seeing and post it up.
Now, this is with the PCM and BCM (just programmed) with my 03 TB VIN still connected to the benchtop rig. I assume I at least need to have the BCM powered up to communicate with the radio, no? Are you suggesting that I find a later model VIN, reprogram BCM and radio that way?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think you need to get the passthrough working. Or the radio really is incompatible with your year truck.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
OK, I replaced the USB/Serial adapter with another model and I can now program Passthru method. Software is still buggy as it will occasionally hang when it is supposed to start downloading to the PCM/BCM. I can tell as the Tech2 does not show that it is loading anything... just stays on Home screen. I have to force quit TIS2000 and reboot the laptop. I was, however, able to reprogram PCM using Passthru method.
By the way... using the Passthru method there is no Radio in the list of controllers to reprogram even though I have a Radio (GM 15184935) hooked up. Apparently TIS2000 is not seeing the radio... possibly due to VIN incompatibility(?). I may be stuck getting a hold of the Chevy dealer my wife works at and ask if they (Tech Support) can create a VCI with my VIN and that model radio. If I can get an answer from them and I can get a decent employee price discount I may try that route. Unless someone has another option?
Thanks,
Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Do you have your original radio? Plug it in and see if it sees it then.

Other than that, one radical idea would be to change the VIN in the PCM and BCM to a compatible one? Maybe 2004? Maybe with your bench setup you might be able to do that as a test trial.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Matt,
I now have a GM 15184935. I have a Tech2 / TIS2000. I have tried to reprogram the radio using Tech2 / TIS2000 and it basically says my VIN is incompatible, that if I want to proceed I need a VCI. In your research did you run into this? I think because the VIN in the radio and my 03 TB VIN do not match the Tech 2 does not simply give me the option to unlock. Help?
Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

I've never heard of that. In all my research, everyone that's done it have gone to a dealer and had them use their "OEM" Tech2.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Mooseman,
Yes, I have a good original radio in my 03 TB... haven't taken it out of car yet for programming troubleshooting but I will try that if I can't figure out this other radio programming first. I did grab an 04 VIN and reprogrammed everything (PCM, BCM, Radio) yesterday... using Passthru method with TIS2000/Tech2. I did select Radio Setup in Tech 2 under Radio and it did not unlock. I switched off the "ignition" and turned everything back on and the radio was still locked. So, this morning I'm fooling around with the Tech2 and I notice a file is ready for download is Service Programming System. I went ahead and reprogrammed whatever was in SPS and the radio unlocked!!! So, now I have a PCM/BCM/Radio completely programmed using my benchtop setup - just the wrong VIN/Year :biggrin:. Now, I'll try and go back to my 03 VIN and try reprogramming everything again. I do think I'll run into the problem again where TIS2000 does not recognize the radio when my 03 VIN is selected for programming. We'll see.

Matt,
Right now I think this is more Operator Error than my Tech2 not being "OEM". The radio model number you provided (and all compatible model numbers listed with it) is programmable to many different options. From what I can see the Tech2 does not do this... that programming comes from TIS2000 then simply downloaded to radio using the Tech2. At least that what it looks like to me. The 04 TB VIN I used for programming within TIS2000 I don't believe gave me the option to program the radio as a "Base" (no Amp) model. Perhaps when I obtained the GM 15184935 it was programmed as a non-Base unit and, I'm speculating here, that might be why TIS2000 does not recognize the radio using my 03 VIN. I did see where you could wipe the radio in Tech2... something about clearing the cal and other parameters but not sure I should do that. For now, that has been left alone. So, I'll try finding another VIN where I might be able to program the radio as a Base radio then go back and try my VIN again. I'm doing all this programing using a benchtop adaptor I built. So, far everything seems to be working - except the radio using my VIN. Who knows, my benchtop wiring could be a contributor(?). See my "rig" here - http://gmtnation.com/forums/threads/p10-pcm-benchtop-harness-with-bcm-radio-support.15270/

I am very new at programming using TIS2000/Tech2. I do have experience with the Tech2 but not trying to reprogram radios with it. Do you have directions for unlocking a "new" radio simply using a Tech2? Any help on that much appreciated :smile:

Last edited:

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Do you have directions for unlocking a "new" radio simply using a Tech2? Any help on that much appreciated :smile:

None whatsoever mate. As I previously said, I researched the crap out of it and saw others had done the same, but, they had the dealer program it, for what it's worth. I don't have a Tech2 and would be bullshitting if I said I knew what the problem was.

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
Update :smile: Apparently when I tried to reprogram my spare PCM/BCM (previously programmed to my VIN) with an 04 VIN it did not take to those modules. I must of done something wrong. However, when I used the 04 VIN to reprogram the radio I speculate TIS2000 sent the info the Tech2. Because the PCM/BCM still had my VIN the programming/Tech2 somehow used that to pair the radio to my VIN. Weird. Honestly, I don't know what the hell I did but after unlocking the radio I installed the radio in my 03TB and it works! :biggrin::biggrin: Next project is to see if the radio will see the factory XM digital radio when I plug it in. The XM radio is connected to Class 2 "network" in the schematics so it could prove to be another programming/setup learning lesson.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
So, a bit of operator error mate? :bonk:

Glad to hear you figured it out and it works. :2thumbsup:

Bill Reid

Original poster
Dec 18, 2015
Chandler, AZ
OK, here is one more update regarding factory XM Satellite module...

After getting the radio working as noted above I plugged in the XM Satellite module and pushed the Band button to "Aux" only to find it displaying "XM Locked" on the radio. Keep in mind the XM module I obtained is used from a junkyard. So, after a little internet searching I found a thread over on a Grand Prix forum discussing exactly what I was trying to do...

http://www.gpona.com/forums/04-08-g...ock-from-used-xm-modules-yourself-t21816.html

In the thread it discusses how to unlock an XM module by removing a chip. It appears that once an XM module receives the VIN the first time that's it... it cannot be reprogrammed (by TechII or TIS2000) by the dealer. The thread also has a link where someone might still be able to send an XM module to have the eprom that stores the VIN wiped clean so it can once again be installed "as new". I wasn't going to spend more money than I have already tied up in the XM Module and all supporting wiring/antenna. So, off came the chip.

The pics in the Grand Prix thread are of modules newer (07 & 08) than the ones I picked up at the junkyard (04-05 TB), shown below, so chip location is not the same. The red squared area is where the chip used to be. The red circled chip is the chip I removed just sitting on the board for reference. After removing the chip I checked the XM Module and it is now unlocked. In the Grand Prix thread it mentions that removing this chip the presets are no longer saved with a key cycle. FYI, for the Class2 XM modules the presets are stored in the XM module... not the radio. It wasn't until later when LAN based XM modules arrived that XM presets were stored in the radio. No big deal for me - especially considering how cheap I got everything. BTW, also in that thread the guy says he installed a chip from another module and somehow it remained unlocked and was fully functional. Well, I tried that with no luck. I have no problem with the de-chipped module not saving presets.

Today I again went to the local pull-n-save junkyard and found a Trailblazer with XM Satellite radio. I pulled the antenna and taped out a template so I can apply it to my TB for locating the holes I need to drill in the roof. That mod is next then I'm done with the radio... well, maybe some slightly better speakers down the road :smile:

Last edited:
Reactions: Matt and Trkdrvremt

holguinerito

Oct 13, 2018
los angeles
Here im replying to a 4 years old post . Was wondering how did you get the wiring from the xm module to the radio? I have a 2004 h2 that I upgraded with the gm nav unit (158000001 and the Xm module but i need to know the wiring diagram so i can make my own harness.... i only have the part that plugs into the module with like 2 feet of cable and that’s it .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bluecorp

Members Online