WANTED WTB: 06-07 EXT XL 4.2 eng complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Howdy, I blew up the eng in my 06 EXT 4.2 and need a good engine for it. So looks like only 06-07 will work. Also, I'd prefer a complete engine assembly with everything on it, so EXT or XL would be best if possible. I'd prefer as low miles as possible and a known good running one of course .
I live in SE Ohio 45701 would like to keep it within about 200 miles, so just about anywhere in Ohio, West Virginia, SW Pennsylvania, E Kentucky, SE or mid E Indiana, I am at a decent crossroads of US 50 and US 33 to get to most places in the area quickly.
My only issue is this is my tow rig so it might take me a few days to work out a vehicle to come get it.
Keep you eyes open for one and let me know, thanks
74 zero, 59 zero, 5 ate ate ate
Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It doesn't have to be from an EXT or XL. They're all the same. Just the year that's important.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Thanks for the replies!
I use car-part all the time to find compatibilities, but the prices for this engine are nuts especially with the high miles they seenm to have. I.e. One place wants $1000 for one with 180,000 mi! Next one was $900 with 175,000, I guess that's a huge discount lol.
For just a engine long block (basically bare) it has to 06-07. However, in my search for PS pump and Alt, etc, all the sources list different part numbers for the EXT/XL. So IF I can find a complete engine from EXT/XL I'll take it, I need to rebuild/replace the PS pump and a spare Alt is always good to have.
If anyone has eyes on one, let me know.
Thanks! Bill

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
I thought ext an XL ceased production in 05?

Weird... They ended in 06... Never seen an 06,. Always 05 or older.

Last edited:

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Well, I have an 06 EXT and I believe they were also available in 07. I think then only short wheelbase were available in 08 and 09.
Still looking for one somewhat more affordable.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Last year for EXT/XL was 06.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
I stand corrected.
Please confirm if you can the issue of ext having different accessories i.e. Alt, ps pump, a/c comp.
Thanks, Bill.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
PS pump was a little different on the EXT possibly because it had a different ratio rack and pinion but physically the same. Everything else is the same.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Nope, same compressor.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
When I go to RA to look up Alt or PS pump they list different part #s for EXT or short wb. But Hollander and Car-Part show they exchange, but this makes me worry, just because they physically swap doesn't mean they are the same internally.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Don't worry about the alt. There used to be an error in parts listings, that seems to still be around, regarding different alts on these trucks. For the same years, there is only 1. PS pump is different, but I think it's because of a different pulley, which also causes confusion for belts, which is where the different alt question would come up, which was wrong.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Then why the heck all the different part numbers? I understand if something will physically swap but there must be some internal differences? Isn't there something about the later alts that had some different regulating control? Read that somewhere. Iirc, the ext did have a different rack ratio and/or greater lock to lock??? Larger wheels the reason???
I'm just trying to find the best possible swap.
Thanks, Bill

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Later years alt were changed, went to two wires and used an external regulator of some sort. My '02 alt wouldn't have worked in my '07 although they will bolt onto either. Physically they are the same. Same thing for the PS pumps.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Actually I swapped my 02 and 06 alternators and they will swap and fit, same wiring too, but my local alt/starter rebuilder guy told me the later 06 had the extra regulating control (or whatever it's called) and are different. Got to be something to it.
No doubt in my mind and only makes logical sense that the Ext/XL models would have a different rack-ps pump, different a/c compressor, and different alt (even if only pulley because of comp andpump being different).
Darn it, Row 52 just posted a 06 at a u pull JY in Columbus but that's a 90 min drive each way, no free time, and no way to haul it back right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online