wrong CV Axles?

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
i changed both cv axles on my TB EXT LT and got an alignment because i needed it. however, once i got out of the alignment i noticed that when i make a u-turn, my turning is short. before i changed anything (with the old cv axles) i was able to make this u-turn at my house no problem and end up almost at the left lane. now, the wheel only goes so much and locks and im almost on top of the sidewalk on the right side.

i have a short wheel base trailblazer 2006 and it turns like my ext used to before the new cv axles.

is this is a problem with the cv axles (recv short ones vs longer ones? or a problem with the alignment?
if it is a problem with the lengh of the axles, wouldnt they NOT fit if they were too short/too long?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
If CV were wrong it would not have been alignable. Likely the alignment changed things enough you notice. Did your printout show how far out it was prior to being aligned?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Is the turning radius symmetrical, same number of turns to the left to the right? Nothing in the alignment can screw up the turning radius except a massive asymmetry in the tie rod end positioning that screws with the wheel centering. Almost inconceivable that the shop would do that and not notice.

The spec for the turning circle diameter for the EXT is 42 ft. or so. The SWB is 36 ft. After all these years, I'm not actually certain how that's defined - the diameter of a circle that one tire traces out, or the curb-to-curb distance that you should be able to do a U-turn in and not hit the curb with either outside tire. :redface: Maybe you can do the experiments and report back? Then we'll all know. :thumbsup:

mrjean

Original poster
Jul 15, 2012
ill check the wheel turns...however, the swb has a tighter turn than the lwb now that i changed the cv axle. before i changed the cv axle, it had a tighter turn not as wide as it is now.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR

Members Online