wrench/oil light is on

million-miles

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Im guessing this is the maintance light as i dont have a manual. How do i reset it?

Thank you

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Well u could disconnect the neg. battery terminal. Not sure its the best way but it'll get rid of it.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Some of us don't have the DIC. I know I don't. I have a manual but too lazy to get it right now.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
To reset the Engine Oil Life System, do the following:
1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine off.
2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.
The change engine oil light will flash while the system is resetting.

Some folks have reported that their light does not flash.

[video=youtube;OqCXyWefbA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqCXyWefbA0[/video]

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
First Method- 3 Pumps

Insert car keys into ignition. Turn the keys clockwise so that the car turns on, but the engine remains OFF.

Press the gas pedal all the way to the floor 3 times. Do this quickly--within a 5 seconds of turning the key.

Turn the keys counter-clockwise to the OFF position.

Turn the keys clockwise again, but this time start the engine.

After the car starts wait a few seconds and the oil change warning light should be off.

Second Method- The Battery

Open the hood of your Trailblazer and find the negative battery terminal.

Loosen the bolt at the end of the cable, disconnect the battery cable from the negative battery terminal.

Wait for at least 15 minutes--this is to give the vehicle's computer systems time to reset.

Reconnect the battery cable to the negative battery terminal by reattaching it and tightening it with the wrench.

Start the car and wait a few seconds to see if the oil change warning light is off.

Or just follow May03LT's video :smile:

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
IIRC after doing the three gas peddle pumps you have to sit there for 5-10 seconds until the oil change light blinks at you, then its reset to 100%.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
I have the Owner's Manual in the door pocket simply because I can never remember how to reset the OLM. OLM light flash?! I see no flashing OLM light during reset. Sometimes I have to do it a couple times to get it right.

Now if I only put some kind of bookmark in the manual, I can save another 5 minutes every oil change. :yes:

million-miles said:
Im guessing this is the maintance light as i dont have a manual.

The OS has the electronic version of the manual under the top "Resource" tab. I don't think they are available here quite yet.

million-miles

Original poster
Jan 10, 2012
Thank you all. The 3 step gas pedal worked like a charm

mnypitTBEXT

Jan 29, 2012
This is the method I use. Seems that the morons at Tire Kingdom have no clue how to do this on any vehicles, including my work car. So I am always having to do it myself. I do not often bring in my Trailblazer, but when they offered synthetic oil change for $45 I couldnt justify crawling under there myself. LOL. It can be done at a red light. I have done it many times after leaving. Extremely easy. No special tools needed. LOL.

MAY03LT said:
Some folks have reported that their light does not flash.

[video=youtube;OqCXyWefbA0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqCXyWefbA0[/video]

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Hmm, learn somethin new everyday. Guess I should read up on the manual huh.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Yup it's all in the owners manual . It's easy to reset via the gas pedal , bet its just about as fast or faster than the dic method . I usually get it done at the dealer because they will do it for $29.95 with semi synthetic QS . I can't buy 7 quarts and a filter for that cheap so they can do it . I will usually reset it manually when they are done just in case they forgot .

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online