Wrecker Alerts? Just thinking out loud...

Gary M

Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Probably a dumb idea, but I wonder if it would be a good thing to have a thread (or maybe a whole section) dedicated to member-posted alerts regarding auth wreckers that have a specific vehicle on the yard.

I think there's a bunch of us who have trucks that are getting pretty long in the tooth and sources of used parts are often hard to come by - at least in my area. Having a resource where I could see a list of local yards that might have parts I'm looking for would be awesome.

Maybe people in more populated areas don't have the trouble I do, but here in Canuckistan there ain't a lot of hardware to be found.

A single thread would work, I suppose, with the search feature. A section divided geographically (like the community events area) would be even better. A step further might be catagorizing by platform?

My ideal hierarchy would be something like:

- Envoy

----- Canada

---------- West (BC, AB)

---------- Central (SK, MB)

---------- East (ON, PQ)

---------- Atlantic (NB, NS, NF, PEI)

Members who come across an Envoy at a wrecker could start a thread with a subject like "Black 05 SLT in Ottawa" then post details in the text portion.

Again, just thinking out loud here - whadaya think?

Cheers!

Gary

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Not a bad idea, but there are some internet sources for that kinda info. Not really platform specific, but can usually locate a part and if you call, you can find out what of truck they have is good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
car-part.com is a very useful resource for stuff like this actually. Used them to get my TCCM.

Gary M

Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Good point, guys - guess that's why it hasn't been done here already :undecided:

Cheers!

Gary

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not all yards use car-part.com and we sometimes come across a unit in a yard that could be useful to somebody.

Gary, or anyone else in the Ottawa area, this one may be of interest to you. Found an '02 TB (non-EXT) at the Kenny U-Pull in Gatineau QC. It has an absolutely beautiful rear hatch that looks like new. I would have taken it but mine is an EXT so it doesn't fit :frown:. Their prices on parts are dirt cheap as the hatch would have been $37.99 (with glass). Other than that, from what I saw, it has been picked on some parts including the coils, fan, diff and rack & pinion are gone. Has front end damage. The thing with Kenny's, you can't just call and ask if they have a particular vehicle in the yard, you have to go and check yourself. And since you pull it out yourself, the prices are really cheap: Price list - Kenny U-PULL

I got a front sub-frame for my son's Accord that other yards wanted $400+ but I got one there for $17! It's the labour to pull the damn thing out that makes it expensive. Still, the price can't be beat.:thumbsup:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
That's what I need to find around here is a dirt cheap liftgate like that one. And some good sheet metal for me to chop off :biggrin:

Gary M

Original poster
Jul 12, 2012
Thanks Moose: That's EXACTLY what I'm looking for: A place that'll let me pick my own parts. Gonna check it out tomorrow.

I assume we need to bring our own tools?

Cheers!

Gary

Edit: I just looked at the website. Holy crap! Like, $37 for a complete door assembly, with hinges. Wow

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
You have a good idea, and it will work to inform folks more about whats out there in the yards that may not necessarily be listed on the web sites. That being said, I won't participate. I spend to much time and money in the salvage yards and don't want to share my parts trucks with anyone else. :raspberry:

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
I don't suppose that you could check to see if they have a set of fog lights for an '06 Trailblazer could you? And how much they'd be in the event that they have them?? :wink:

The price list says $3.99 but doesn't indicate what model that's for...

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Fogs are the same 02-09

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
CdnGMan said:
I don't suppose that you could check to see if they have a set of fog lights for an '06 Trailblazer could you? And how much they'd be in the event that they have them?? :wink:

The price list says $3.99 but doesn't indicate what model that's for...

They're not $4, but they don't cost to much for new fogs on ebay
[EBAY]120935625922[/EBAY][EBAY]120944683609[/EBAY]

CdnGMan

Nov 22, 2011
Toronto
Short Bus said:
They're not $4, but they don't cost to much for new fogs on ebay

You're right in that they're not that expensive - if you live in the US... shipping is $18 for a single lamp, which happens to be 83% of the value of the part...
Now tell me, would you be quick to jump at it if you had to pay that much in shipping??

I know it sounds petty, but I don't see the reason to have to pay so much for shipping... I guess it's a principle thing for me...

Thanks for the links tho - I do appreciate it :thumbsup:

Numbnutz

Dec 11, 2011
Gary .... there is one I saw in a wreck yard recently, and I am in your neck of the world I just need to remeber where I saw it now, as I didnt need anything for mine at the time.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online