Would you put in a new Fuel Pump if it's never been replaced at 190 K miles?

c good

Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
My 2002 Envoy is running perfect and I plan on keeping it for along time. As far as I know, It's never had a new fuel pump. I'm friends with the previous owner and he does not remember having the fuel pump replaced. I bought it 13 years ago with 130K miles on it. It's running perfect. Better than it has in many years since replacing the PCM/ECM.

So....I'm planning a trip into Baja, pulling a small trailer. Would it be prudent to just put in a new fuel pump before I head out? Thanks for any input. Also, should I decide to replace the fuel pump should I stay with the AC/Delco pump? Or are there better one's out there? Thanks, Cam

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
In my experience, they usually fail before this mileage so... My 02 TB and 06 Saab failed at around 200k KM (125k miles). My 07 is just at 187k km and is still original.

Irrespective of mileage, they also sometimes rust out on top or the fuel line itself. Something to consider if in the rust belt. That's what happened to the Saab.

Reactions: xavierny25

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I am running a OEM pump on both trucks. 162k on the Saab, and 210k+ on the Envoy.

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
Mine lasted perfectly fine until 203k, and then the fuel level sensor went out. I'm pretty sure it would've went on longer, but the ring/top of the pump were pretty rusty/crappy looking. I went with a BOSCH unit, but its been said in the past on here that others noticed that the AC Delco units had BOSCH stickers/part numbers on the pump assembly. I replaced mine near Fall of 2019, and the price difference between the BOSCH and Delco were $80 so that was incentive enough to save a bit and go with what is presumably the same exact thing.

Reactions: Mooseman

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I would get your emissions inspection done before you change it....if you have that in your state.

Since I replaced mine, I've been dealing with the locking tabs around the opening having a small leak. Just enough to not allow proper vacuum for the automated test it performs which throws a P0440 code now...unfortunately I will need a new tank.

To answer your question, I've had good luck with the Bosch or AC pump.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.