Would I feel any difference with a K & N air filter !!!!!!

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
willbill92 said:
Ok I will check that out in the morning. Thanks IllogicTC :thumbsup:

Also is it necessary to have the cover over the air filter or could I run without it?:undecided:

You'll notice people who've done aftermarket induction leave the cover off 80-90% of the time. But, they have different filters, the kind that get oiled and whatnot.

I myself am not sure if it's recommended to do so with a stock intake and filter. It may increase the chance of it pulling in warmer air, since the air wouldn't have to come through the horn that's pointed to the front anymore.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
http://gmtnation.com/f24/cold-air-intake-7746/

Some folks gut the intake box. A few threads have discussed that the stock setup is about the coolest air flow as you will get.

To be honest, I think they take the box off for easier access and for aesthetics. The resonator for easier access (? Its a few turns to get off!) and for sound when gassing it.

It's your truck, do what you want.

Green filter, gut the box, remove the resonator seems to be popular.

Volant is another some like.

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
willbill92 said:
Has anybody else noticed that on the stock intake system that the air filter gets ridiculously dirty on the part of the filter that sits on the bottom? I just changed my filter 2 weeks ago and it already looks like I need to change it.

I noticed the same thing when I had the stock air box and filter. I used a shop vac and compressed air to clear the drain hole. Once I switched over to the K&N intake, your intake filter no longer sits on the washer fluid tank so my filter tends to stay cleaner all around. I did notice that the plastic intake horn directs more bugs and dirt to that side of the filter. When I clean my filter I still use a shop vac to clear the top of the hole since bugs and dirt seem to settle there since my filter is elevated.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Playsinsnow said:
http://gmtnation.com/f24/cold-air-intake-7746/

Some folks gut the intake box. A few threads have discussed that the stock setup is about the coolest air flow as you will get.

To be honest, I think they take the box off for easier access and for aesthetics. The resonator for easier access (? Its a few turns to get off!) and for sound when gassing it.

It's your truck, do what you want.

Green filter, gut the box, remove the resonator seems to be popular.

Volant is another some like.

There are pics floating around from my old setup, I gutted the stock airbox (still running) and cut the resonator so that it would bolt over the PVC tube and cover the coil packs. I liked the look, however the performance issues made me return to OEM (mostly)

IllogicTC said:
You'll notice people who've done aftermarket induction leave the cover off 80-90% of the time. But, they have different filters, the kind that get oiled and whatnot.

I myself am not sure if it's recommended to do so with a stock intake and filter. It may increase the chance of it pulling in warmer air, since the air wouldn't have to come through the horn that's pointed to the front anymore.

I only left my cover off for a few days while I tweaked my intake around. I did find an issue going back to the oem intake with the gutted airbox, the tube has a hole that goes into a cavity in the airbox which I assume reduces noise. I plugged the hole with a cap for something I found in the garage. Seems to still have a bit of the throaty sound, but much quieter. I also gained back some low end torque which I did not even realize I lost.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online