Worn u joints methinks

Magyver

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
In the past few weeks I've been noticing a clunky sound in the rear end area when going into gear especially from park, and thought it was the beginnings of u joints. Lately there has been a slight vibration around 30 on acceleration, and coasting in neutral makes it stop. I don't feel it above 45-50, and no other weird sensations. FWIW I have replaced all tie rod ends, both front wheel bearings in the past year, and the tires are fine. My first thought is still u joints, just a bit worse than before.

My question is this: how far gone are they really? I have a 6 hour road trip coming up Tuesday, and I wanted to get some feedback about whether or not I should drive it ad change out the u joints when I get back, or should I not put those continuous miles on worn parts, risking breakdown? The only time I could possibly do this would be late Monday night but I can't have something go wrong and be too late to rent a car. Second question: what could possible go wrong to make this job go longer than about 2 hours?

smt 59

Hey Magyver, have you got under the truck and checked for play on the driveshaft? There is a certain amount of play in the rear differential when putting it into gear, as well how many miles are on it and what kind driving do you do? I have not looked at your profile either so is the truck 4wd,mods etc.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
They're a biatch to replace. They have nylon pins that need to be torched out. The aftermarket joints have C clips instead, so they're easier to install. Life will be much easier if you have a bench vise too.

Magyver

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Smt--- I haven't actually crawled under yet. I imagine by prying against the yoke and joint I could see play or not. I was asking more about how far to let it go before it becomes a risk of failure. Mileage is 140k, all stock. No off roading, no big tires, no major amounts of towing.

Harpo

Dec 4, 2011
Sweden
Go on your trip,no worries.
You would feel a lot more rumble if they are really bad,but it's just started you say.
I have never heard of anyone who had a breakdown caused by bad u-joints. You would be annoyed and change them out long before they get dangerous.

smt 59

I agree, with the low milage and no real abuse it is uncommon for these to go, the rumbling is likely something else and yes I would go on the trip as well with no worries.

nagyiii

Apr 26, 2014
I tried to sqeak every last inch out of mine, and it failed on my in the middle on no where. do the right thing and fix it.

Magyver

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012

PProph

Dec 7, 2011
that sounds very similar to when my u-joint went a little while back, i posted a couple videos in my thread here (the second video a few posts in has a very similar 'ping' sound when putting into gear):

http://gmtnation.com/forums/topic/8581-drivetrain-noise-video/

If that sounds anything like what yours is, mine ended up being the rear u-joint at the rear dif. it was a pita to change because of those stupid nylon pins, heat and a press are helpful (my propane torch wasn't enough, i had a friend with a shop press and an oxy torch). maybe others have been lucky with less extreme measures but i rarely have that luck and didn't here. good luck!

Magyver

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Yup the noises are the same and i will start with u joints. Thanks everyone!

Magyver

Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
A late update....changed both front and rear, used MAPP to heat things up, and no problems. The rear joint was toast, all the needle bearings had disintegrated from on side , and the end of the cross was just sloppy in the end cap. My bad for letting it get like that. Anyway, no clunks, popping, squeaking, all is good.

I may have installed the front joint 180 degrees backwards. I marked it, but it came off while handling it. Would that likely be the reason I get a vibration at highways speeds?

Reactions: Hypnotoad

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Possibly. Typically things like driveshafts are balanced as a unit so if it is installed 180 degrees of how it was it can create a vibe. Spin it back around and see if it helps.

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Is it possible the weight fell off?

Flipping it can't hurt, but I have a feeling it won't matter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
javier perez

Members Online