NEED HELP workaround for no start

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
2006 TB 5.3L 2WD LS. At this point, camping in Missouri trying to get home to Florida, I just need a way to start this thing if it doesn't start anymore. Dash lights come on, turn key nothing. Had a P2176 code set on attempt to start, cleared it, and it didn't come back. On one successful start it ran like total crap, started again, same rough idle no power, started again ran fine and towed my trailer 200 miles. Took to Meineke (because dealer too busy to help me) and they replaced the battery and the throttle body for $780, and I still have the same issue.

I will go through Memphis TN 200 miles south to take to another shop July 6. However I need to get there first. If I get in jam and can't get it to start at all, I'd like to try to hit the solenoid with 12V from a jumper cable to the battery, but I can't seem to find the starter. How do you get to it? Plus do not know if this is good idea???? Possible blow something else up?

Also am considering removing the starter relay and jamming a paper clip into the rear right and front left sockets (as seen from front of vehicle) to effect a forced start. That seems scary as well. Any suggestions? Ideas?

I think I will demand that they replace the starter switch on the rear of the ignition switch no matter what else the shop suggests. I also have trouble getting it into 1st gear so maybe PN-safety switch or transmission linkage is implicated.

We just wanna get home!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Hi and welcome to GMTNation.

Here's a very good video by our own @MAY03LT that goes through checking the circuits.

A possibility with electrical gremlins is the ignition switch. Relatively cheap and easy to replace, I would replace it first just to eliminate that, which has a high failure rate.

But that code is indicative of something with either the throttle body, which was replaced, or the pedal sensor. That would be my next place to look. If something wonky is going on with either, the PCM might be holding back the start command as it would want to prevent a runaway Toyota situation. If it happens while running, it would put it in Reduced Engine Power (engine with down arrow light) and not allow it to run past a certain speed or power. The way you describe how it's running sounds like it.

The starter on the V8 is really tucked up in there and is a pretty tough job to replace. You can eliminate that by doing the short with a wire at the relay to see if it turns. If it does, the starter is fine but might not help if the PCM is not firing the coils and injectors.

Reactions: MAY03LT

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I don't see many 5.3 TBs but have seen many 5.3 silverado/tahoe/etc where the nut that holds the solenoid wire loosens up over time. If the relay jump doesn't do anything that would be the next thing to check.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest