won't start

85085AZ

Original poster
Mar 18, 2012
I replaced my seized 4.2 with a used motor that has 66,000 miles on it. Everything was fine till a couple weeks ago when i went to start it and i had no compression at all. Then after a few cranks certain cylinders would have compression but still not start till finally it would start but run very rough for a 2-3 minutes. Once it was warmed up it would run smooth and start with no issues at all. I took it to Chevrolet and had a diagnostic run on it and i was told low compression in #1. I just don't buy that it must be a single source problem. I know this 04 is the first year of V.V.T. and maybe that's where my problem is

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
The camshaft positioning system is rather finicky and quick to throw a code and turn on the CEL when it doesn't get the camshaft to move like it wants. You didn't mention any codes turning up. Other threads have discussed the Tech 2's ability to verify that its operating properly. I would hope the dealer looked at that as part of your diagnosis. It does seem doubtful that low or no compression in one cylinder would keep it from starting unless that's some computer controlled "feature". It would sure run like crap.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online