SOLVED! Won't go into gear

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Sometimes, infrequently, my shifter refuses to budge. It only happens every two or three weeks and then is normal. I start the TB, try to move the shifter to D or R, and it doesn't move. I have to jiggle it, pull harder, say a little prayer and then it will move. I checked the brake light switch, it seems ok. Every time I step on the brake, the lights come on.

Any thoughts on this?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
I recently cleaned up my brake switch while troubleshooting my cruise control. I was surprised to find 3 sets of contacts in there. Maybe in your case the "lights" contacts work while another set needs attention? I was able to disassemble the switch and contacts and just clean them up like we used to do with a set of points back in the day.

Mine is a 2002 model year.

Attachments

• P1090079.JPG
    P1090079.JPG
    467.5 KB · Views: 26

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
I recently cleaned up my brake switch while troubleshooting my cruise control. I was surprised to find 3 sets of contacts in there. Maybe in your case the "lights" contacts work while another set needs attention? I was able to disassemble the switch and contacts and just clean them up like we used to do with a set of points back in the day.

Mine is a 2002 model year.
Thanks for that great picture. Does the switch come apart easily? When you reassembled it did it seem like it wouldn’t come apart? Maybe a little glue? Zip ties?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Looking at the picture, the uppermost left corner somewhat shows one of four locking tabs. If you are a carefull sort and can manipulate multiple lock tabs simultaneously it's fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble. Additionally all the other components are removable for inspection or whatever. I had a quick look just now in some of the wiring schematics (thanks to Moosemans service manuals) but thus far have found just 2 of the 3 contact sets of the brake switch. Have not located any brake switch/park lock wiring diagram yet.

Attachments

• P1090077.JPG
    P1090077.JPG
    534.6 KB · Views: 5
  • P1090074.JPG
    P1090074.JPG
    311.9 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: mrrsm and Mooseman

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
Another wrinkle. I just discovered I have adjustable brake pedal. Does this somehow affect this whole process. Hey, don't laugh at me, I've only owned the TB for 11 years!

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
Looking at the schematic, you might consider verifying good fuses etc before going after the brake switch (because it's a pain to remove)

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
The circuit which controls the Shift Interlock has normally closed contacts. It is the set of contact closest to the circular hole in the switch body, bottom of photo in post #2. Terminal designations are E and F, the green/white and green/black wires seen in the photo in post #5.

Reactions: thebat

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
As that GD clip....needle nosed vice grips and a long shanked small flat blade screwdriver work well for me. Grab the bottom of the clip, fit the screwdriver in and give a twist then push upwards with the vicegrips..

IMG_20190819_181553.jpgIMG_20190819_181700.jpgIMG_20190819_181813.jpg

thebat

Original poster
May 14, 2017
New England
I got the clip off after much cursing. I examined the contacts on the switch, they looked a little bad. Actually the worse one was the normally open set. I don't know what that does but my lights and cruise control work fine.
I changed out the switch with a new one. It was just too difficult to remove and replace and the new AC Delco was only $16 from Amazon. Just seemed more efficient to replace it.
It's been about 25 starts now with no trouble. I will post updates after a few weeks or sooner if the problem recurs.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online