Won’t switch out of park

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Evening guys! I was browsing craigslist or shitlist, whichever is preferred tonight, I came across a 06 envoy xl with the 5.3. It has all the black leather and seems super clean with a clear title yada yada... anyway, dude said it “fails” to shift from park to anything else. He doesn’t list any mileage, and maintenance records, and it looks like it’s sitting around 50 other cars. Not to sure if it’s a small “buy here pay here” nonsense car lot or not. We have those on EVERY street corner in Ohio unfortunately. Anyway, he wants 2,100 bucks for this thing. I know these trucks have a release in the console to switch it out of park in case the solenoid doesn’t click with the brake compressed, or if your battery dies, but why else would it not shift from park just so I know what else to look for. I figure for 2 grand I can recoup what I lost just by selling the interior of this thing in case i can’t fix her. Thanks guys!!

christo829

Dec 7, 2011
Fairfax, Virginia
If you're *really* lucky, it's just the transmission cable bushing or the cable itself. and they just haven't looked at it well enough, or it could also be the PRNDL switch (either of those if the shift lever moves but it just doesn't come out of Park on the indicator). If the shifter won't release, then look more at the solenoid or the brake interlock switch.

There's most likely something else I'm overlooking, but that ought to give a couple places to look.

Cheers-

Chris

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
Appreciate it brother!

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
I'd agree - check the brake interlock - that's easy. If you don't hear a 'click' from the center console area when you step on / hold down the brake pedal... that might be all you need.
If you hear the click, take a look underneath to see if the end of the shifter cable is hanging free, as that happens often (a spare one should always be on-board, as so many ppl on this site suggest.)

The hard thing to believe is that the dealer (assuming that's who has it) hasn't already had his mech look at the vehicle and rule those two things out. So you might have a bigger project on your hands. Assuming the very worst...at that point, you decide... do I throw a 'new' transmission in (note the quote marks), or just part it out and sell it?

You know how much a trans would cost, depending on which way you go - $350 or so all the way up to $2000 or more. You'd probably be able to sell the vehicle for about $4K (esp. to a private party, but how many ppl have $4K cash - that want an Envoy XL ?) Denalis fetch a little more, but we'll assume it's an SLT, since you didn't mention Denali.

The 5.3 (depending on mileage / condition) is worth $1500 by itself. All of the glass (windshield, tailgate, windows) should fetch $500 (you might have to piece them out, but $500 should be easy for all of those.

So...we're up to $2000 already, and you still have the rest of the vehicle. Front clip, interior pieces / seats...assuming you have the space to store the vehicle while it gets parted out - you'll be ahead, if you're willing to wait for the $. Since it has leather seats, it's at least an SLT.

Oh - and if you buy it and decide to part it out - contact me - I might grab most of your interior, from the door cards to the carpet, and everything in between. Seriously. I've driven to Toledo; it's not that bad for me. Although I may ask for the 'GMTNation discount'...LOL

(on edit - I may as well make an offer for the whole vehicle, and swap my good driveline in... )

07TrailyLS

Original poster
May 7, 2014
Toledo ohio
I was thinking all the same things @Reprise. IF for some reason I can’t salvage this thing, the entire interior is going to be swapped directly over to the trailblazer. I’ve been waiting for black heated leather for 4 years now lol. As for the motor, I mean as long as a rods not knocking I could probably rebuild it. The truck doesn’t “need” to drive as soon as I buy it as I have a ‘13 Silverado extended cab that my company gave me for personal use. On top of the 07 trailblazer my wife uses to haul the kids to and from school. I figure worst case scenario is the transmission is shot. Big deal, unbolt, grab one from th junkyard, revolt, and fill at the reservoir. All in all I would be into this thing <3500. I’m sure I’ll be able to start it up and hear it at least.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dealer may just not care enough to put any time into researching the issue to fix it. Probably a trade in they gave some poor sap 500 bucks for, which said sap took because it was better than the 200 bucks a scrap yard would give him.

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
It could also be something as simple as the battery. Charge it and see of it shifts. If it does, load test the battery. If it's been sitting for a while, the battery might be toast.

Reactions: 07TrailyLS

Shaw520

Sep 20, 2017
Northeast
Looks like a clean rig

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online