wobble after outer tie rod done

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
son and I replaced the drivers side outer tie rod today. after getting everything tightened up. I put hands on the tire at 3 and 9 oclock positions and the wheel wobbles pretty significantly. I might have lost count of the revolutions when turning the tie rod back in to the inner....does this sound like I got the tie rod in too far or not far enough, or something else? Just road tested and it drives ok, before we replaced the tie rod, there was a definite instability and it would dive to the right under hard braking which it doesn't do after the fix. the positive side to side rock test still bugs me

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wobble or steering looseness would not be caused by a new tie rod screwed in ttoo much or too little into the inner ttie rod. That would just cause an alignment issue. Recheck again. Have your son push and pull while ypu look closely. Could be the inner tie rod or wheel bearing.

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
checked again. the whole assembly (control arms etc) move, so looks like I should have done the inner tie rods too. more bonding time with the boy!

xavierny25

Mar 16, 2014
Staten Island, N.Y
checked again. the whole assembly (control arms etc) move, so looks like I should have done the inner tie rods too. more bonding time with the boy!
Just as a precaution since I just went through replacing the whole rack&pinion weeks after replacing the inner tie rods. I suspected the inner tie rods of being an issue with a vibration I was getting over bumps it turned out that there was a whole mess of play inside the rack itself and fluid was starting to get by the seal end on the driver side.

Remove the strap closer to the rack and pull the boot off to get access to where the tie rod meets the rack. Turn the steering wheel to give yourself better access to where the inner tie rod connects and just put a open end or adjustable wrench and see if there is any kind of weird play in there if there is, get ready for it cause it's time for a new rack.

Reactions: Mooseman

sunliner

Original poster
Mar 25, 2012
ok so shopping for the parts. looking at Delco on rock auto. there's an option for 'non variable" power steering with gears" and another option that doesn't mention those things; how do I see which one I need?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online