NEED HELP Wiring additional 12V Sockets

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
The fuse is always the first thing in a circuit so it would go at the hot connection before the switch. For the ground, that would be fine as it's just for powering the light inside the switch, very low amps.

Ok, thanks for the help.

Was going to tap into the Accessory wire for the stereo to power the monitors since the aftermarket stereo harness claims it will supply 12v 10 Amp on the red wire but wasn't sure if I could go that route. And wasn't quite sure how much of a draw the Ignition switch placed on the Accessory wire but was told by a coworker that typically a Ignition switch draws appox 1amp on the stereo accessory wire on GM vehicles.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Last of the questions about this monitor wiring...Trying to avoid waiting on and purchasing a dual style 12V Socket. Laying around in the garage I have a extra triple style.
20170930_131512.jpg

Wanting to hardwire it to the Rocker switch but I would have to do away with the cig plug.

How important is the glass type fuses in the Accessorie plugs?...can I do anyway with it and still be safe?
20170930_131111.jpg
I know the Brown wire is power (hot) and the Blue would be ground but I also noticed and leads to my next question...

I noticed the wiring for the Adaptor is not Copper, it's silver in color so I'm guessing it's aluminum???...would this be as safe to use as Copper?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
How important is the glass type fuses in the Accessorie plugs?...can I do anyway with it and still be safe?

Yes, you can get rid of it. The idea of that fuse was for it to blow before the one for the cig lighter.

I noticed the wiring for the Adaptor is not Copper, it's silver in color so I'm guessing it's aluminum???...would this be as safe to use as Copper?

In all the years I've been doing this stuff, I don't know what it is but I can solder it, either to similar or copper wire. I wouldn't worry about it.

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
Yes, you can get rid of it. The idea of that fuse was for it to blow before the one for the cig lighter.

In all the years I've been doing this stuff, I don't know what it is but I can solder it, either to similar or copper wire. I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok, awesome. Thanks again.

Now I'm still on the fence about where to mount and pull power for the Rocker switch...

Was going to tap into the Accessory wire for the stereo to power the monitors since the aftermarket stereo harness claims it will supply 12v 10 Amp on the red wire but wasn't sure if I could go that route. And wasn't quite sure how much of a draw the Ignition switch placed on the Accessory wire but was told by a coworker that typically a Ignition switch draws appox 1amp on the stereo accessory wire on GM vehicles.

You think I should go this route and mount the Rocker switch up front?...or...

Drill a 15/16 hole in the center console plug/plate here...
20171001_061317.jpg
And pull power from the rear console factory Cig socket?

RTTBLT1

Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Louisburg, KS
About to start the wiring job on the DVD monitors...

@Mooseman, you said I can join the ground wire from the Rocker switch to the factory 12V socket ground...now can I also join the added 12V Socket ground which would be powering two monitors @ 2Amps to the same location?...or would I need to use a separate location for that?

I will be hiding a added 12v Socket inside the center console just behind the rear HVAC controls and just needed to know if I can join both the Rocker switch & added 12V Socket ground into the rear console factory 12V socket ground.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I see no problem with that. The draw is now that great.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.