Wiper blade comparisons

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you are familiar with Project Farm, he tests all sorts of things like oil and such. This one is actually really good as I have never seen a true comparison of different wiper frame types.

I have always used metal framed blades as I could never justify the extra cost seeing that I would replace them twice a year, using winter blades (old style metal frame wrapped with a rubber cover) and summer metal frames. Years ago I was disappointed with the beam type but that Bosch might just convert me. And if they last a whole year as they seem to be good for winter, it might actually save me some money.

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I switched to the PIAA Si-Tech for the fronts and the Super Silicone for the rear and haven't found a better wiper.

Reactions: cornchip

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Reading some reviews on Amazon, the Bosch are apparently terrible for winter. I'm gonna have to try out some others but definitely beam type.

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
I've also hopped on the silicone train. PIAA refills in some cheap metal frames on the TB and Silverado. Been on the TB for over 2 years and the Silverado over a year, just gotta wipe the edge off occasionally.

Reactions: Matt and Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
I had an online coupon at the time, so I went in on the Rain X blades, a little over a year ago. They've been great for the time I've had them, usually never had to turn the wiper speed faster than halfway to max. Obviously I don't have the winter performance concerns that many of you have.

Reprise

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Jul 22, 2015
Believe it or not, the best (non-OEM) blades I've ever found are Autozone's house brand - Duralast (Aero or Flex; I forget which, but leaning toward the Aero -- it's the style that has the raised lip on the bottom that holds the arm against the glass).

They last at least a year (and I don't worry about rejuvenating / cleaning them). They may not be Canada winter-rated, but we get plenty of precip here, including snow. I use them year-round, even though AZ carries a winter blade, as well.

I don't know who makes them for AZ, but I haven't found another one that works as well, IMHO - Trico, Bosch (which are horrendously expensive), Rain-X, etc.)

While they do sell just the inserts, IIRC, I just replace the entire assembly. Easier.

Also, while they do have the 16" rear blade, I found that it didn't fit my 1st-design arm. I put the 2nd-design arm on a while back, and haven't tried the AZ blades on that one, yet (I almost never use the rear wiper, TBH, except to clear snow while driving).

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
The Florida Heat down here causes the Wiper Blades to "Glue" themselves to the lower edges of the windshield. I've taken to the habit of using a Wet Paper Towel to first lift the blade straight up and then pinch-drag the towel down the full length of the Driver's Side WW Blade and remove the detritus.

The amount of crap that can collect in that area after just few days of being parked is unbelievable and this includes collecting sand and grit along the blade edges that can put a sheen and glare on car and truck windows in short order.

It takes a a while to get into following this habit... but the alternative is to encounter sudden Thunder Storms while driving in heavy traffic and have the whole rubber segments peel off and flop around like a Bag of Shoe Laces.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mooseman

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
<snip> ...have the whole rubber segments peel off and flop around like a bag of shoe laces.

This is literally what causes me to need to replace mine, as opposed to less than satisfactory performance... I haven't noticed the sticking issue though, I'm sure being garage parked is a big factor there, but that would certainly be bothersome.

During my road trip last week, my passenger side wiper blade failed, separating from the base... Luckily the wax made the rain bead up nicely on the windshield and blow off on its own. So today, went shopping for some replacements.

View attachment 85816

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I swapped to all beam style on everything this year and love it.

Bow_Tied

Dec 21, 2014
London, ON
It also depends on the shape of the windshield. If you have a flat windshield, nbd, pick what you like. But the old school beam and claw ones adhere to the curved windshield of my '05 Jimmy much better, especially the passenger side that wraps around. I have also found OEM AC Delcos are much better than the equivalent parts stores versions. I was unimpressed with the Bosch ones, maybe they work ok on a flat surface. jmo

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I just put on some Bosch Icons, which are supposed to be better in winter and longer lasting than the Advantage. $20-$21CAD each for 22" and 24". Work great in light rain and streak/noise free. I had a set of the cheaper metal framed Bosch before. Although they worked great when new in the spring, now they were getting streaky and skippy. They were under $10 each.

I need to replace the rear one but listings say it's supposed to be a 12" or 13" but it's 14" on there now. Since it's the newer style wiper arm, I want to keep the original look. The old style arm had a 16" blade. Anybody have any recommendations?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I just put on some Bosch Icons, which are supposed to be better in winter and longer lasting than the Advantage. $20-$21CAD each for 22" and 24". Work great in light rain and streak/noise free. I had a set of the cheaper metal framed Bosch before. Although they worked great when new in the spring, now they were getting streaky and skippy. They were under $10 each.

I need to replace the rear one but listings say it's supposed to be a 12" or 13" but it's 14" on there now. Since it's the newer style wiper arm, I want to keep the original look. The old style arm had a 16" blade. Anybody have any recommendations?
The icons blow in the winter... any snow or freezing rain freezes the beam in place. As useless as normal framed ones.

• Sad

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Dammit! I could pick up a set of old fashion rubber covered metal framed blades for winter and put the Icons back on in the spring.

Anybody have any other recommendations for winter blades? Just stick with the old fashion stuff? Trico Ice looks like it has some decent reviews. I wanna try some beam types for a change.

DocBrown

Dec 8, 2011
I've found reviews of wipers to be useless. They are subject to weather conditions, climate, and windshield/wiper design. My wife's Buick encore for example requires the frameless type due to the windshield design. Test these buggers in a blizzard at -10 and see what happens.

That said I've been using RainX wipers on my Sierra and my wife's Encore. So far they've been pretty good.

Reactions: Bow_Tied

Mooseman

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've found reviews of wipers to be useless. They are subject to weather conditions, climate, and windshield/wiper design.

Unless you read reviews on Amazon.ca where the majority of us live in sub-zero temps half the year!

I have to agree that there is no perfect wiper blade that works on all windshields. The old metal framed type work better to wipe the entire area whereas the beam type and winter rubber covered ones miss the lower right of passenger side and upper left of driver side due to curvature. Unless you're looking at the antenna base or airplanes, this doesn't bother me.

The old rubber covered metal framed ones have always suffered from water getting inside and freezing, which is an absolute PITA to free up.

cornchip

Jan 6, 2013
The old rubber covered metal framed ones have always suffered from water getting inside and freezing, which is an absolute PITA to free up.

I also found the wind\cross wind at highway speeds would cause them to 'lift off' and fly. Something I can say that doesn't affect my current blades.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online