Winter Tire Pressure

DenaliHD66

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
265/65/17 Michelin LTX MS2's. I run at 38PSI all sound during summer. Is it BETTER to run them harder or softer in winter? Narrower tires are better, so one would think that higher inflation would help to make the contact path smaller to slice through snow, but a greater contact path would get more traction on ice and be softer.

What do you guys prefer?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
Personally, I run the same pressures throughout the year, 36 all round.

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
I agree^^^ I run 35 psi in my winters and summers. I wonder if too high of pressure would have negative traction effects in the snow or on ice?

Chickenhawk

Dec 6, 2011
Having extensive experience driving on snow and ice for 40+ years, I can say quite assuredly that having a wider contact patch makes it worse.

I also have those tires, and your pressures are fine summer or winter.

Most people tend to run them a bit softer for comfort without any problems, as 38 is at the very high end of the maximum traction curve. 35 to 36 is a good range, unless you are carrying a heavy load in the back.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
I also have the ltx m/s but 245s. As far as winter pressure, I keep them the same and check religiously when air temp is below <15*F. In true deep snow I run a few psi higher than normal, 38-40 to keep the sidewall a little stiffer than would be. Just don't let them get much lower than you usually do because it will have an effect.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online