Windshield Wiper Pump Intermittent Problem

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
I have a problem with my front windshield washer pump. When the windshield wiper setting on the turn signal stalk is put on the highest speed setting, the washer fluid pump will stay on continually. When I place the winshield wiper speed setting to anything slower, it works properly and doesn't turn on the windshiled washer pump. Also, not all the time, but sometimes during start-up, the windshield wiper will come on for a couple seconds, then turn off even though the switch is in the off position. Sometimes I have to cycle the wiper speed switch and then it'll stop. I've already tried replacing the turn signal stalk, but the problem still exists. Looking at the wiper system schematic from my service manual and searching online, I'm thinking maybe it's something with the wiper motor controler, but I'm not sure. Any suggestions on a fix?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
The control module at the motor also can control the washer pump, and they OFTEN get wet and corroded. Sometimes, a removal and thorough cleaning can bring them back to proper operation. Sometimes you need a new assembly.

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
Ok thanks. Is removing the wiper motor easy? And what needs cleaning, is there exposed contacts or just the connector? I'll have to check my service manual when I get home to see what's involved. I checked out RockAuto and looks like a refurb wiper motor is around $60-$111 (OEM at $151!!).

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I've never had mine out, but many members have. Let's see if they chime in. Have you looked yet?

The circuit board is INSIDE the assembly and cleaning it involves taking a cover off to get at the circuits. It's not anything you can see from the outside. The corrosion happens when dirty and water get past a gasket or into openings in the cover.

EnvoyCruzer

Original poster
Jan 23, 2012
So I finally got to replacing the whole motor assembly and it works properly now, washer pump comes on when it's suppose to and the wipers don't randomly turn on now. I took apart the old assembly and the circuit board looked clean, no shorts or burn marks anywhere. Inside the assembly everything was clean and couldn't see any evidence of water or debris penetrating through. Anyways, it's fixed and I'm happy.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chirobo1

Members Online