Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
5winch.jpg

DSC01454.jpg

And adding this..
winchline2.jpg

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
What did that run you and where from? My steel line is showing wear already.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I got hook and line off a buddy for 100 plus a lil bit for the guard. Rough Country gave me a deal on the hawse and masterpull will supply a heat guard and extra velcro on rock chafe guard. Should be under 200 for a nice syn setup with keeping the 7/16 steel line and roller lead to sell or have as backup. It is 3/8 amsteel line.

Expo has 10%off their lines through expo, but I was gonna go with viking until I found this deal.

Nov 18, 2011
So does that mean you often find yourself in too deep?:biggrin:

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
It happens when you"re large

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I got the Amsteel blue installed along with an aluminum Smittybilt hawse fairlead. I also added 20 feet of chafe guard. 10 feet by the hook and 10 feet to float along the line to where it is needed.

bumperx3.jpg

bumperx1.jpg

bumperx4.jpg

It sits a bit closer in without the roller fairlead and it lost about 35 lbs of weight in the swap. Figure 30 lb steel line to 2 lb of rope and 10 lb of roller lead to 2 lb of aluminum.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
What winch is that anyway? It looks just like the one TrailGear sells which also looks just like the new Badland winch I picked up for the Yota... apparently they're all Warn clones.

Bartonmd

Nov 20, 2011
I believe it's a "tuff stuff"... IIRC, one of the "the same as _______" winches...

Mike

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Yep. Supposedly Aussie brand, but same as Superwinch is what I found, but who knows. It works and is not a waste of money like a Warn.

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
does this mean that the $349 9k Badland winch from HF is not a waste of money?
I've thought about getting a 12K since it is only a few more bucks but most of the receiver mounts I see are rated to 9k and I don't want it coming apart.
I doubt my winch would ever see anything extreme but you want to always limit risk and liability.

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011
navigator said:
I've thought about getting a 12K since it is only a few more bucks but most of the receiver mounts I see are rated to 9k and I don't want it coming apart.
I doubt my winch would ever see anything extreme but you want to always limit risk and liability.

Just make sure the weakest link ISN'T the cable, a shackle, etc. Being stuck is a bummer. Having a cable with 9,000 pounds of tension in it come ripping loose can REALLY spoil your day. Personally, I'd rather have the winch run out of torque before parts start flying.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
That's why I have the rope. Just drops if it breaks and stronger than the cable.

My winch is 12500. There's thicker cable on the 12s than 8the or 10the typically. Mine was.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
navigator said:

I have the older (MileMarker clone) 8K HF winch on the front of my TB. It's slow but it has never let me down. It paid for itself in one day last April. I must have pulled line for me and everyone else in my group 20 times during a nasty snow run.

The Badland 9K winch I just picked up looks like an even better unit. It's much faster. You can use a 20% off coupon on top of the sale price as well. I got mine for right at $300 after tax. I'm considering selling my old HF winch and buying a 12K for the TB.

HARDTRAILZ

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Mine was 330 for the 12.5 w a snatchblock. That is delivered and no tax. Bought through ebay but seller has a site and was good to work with.

v7guy

Dec 4, 2011
It seems like picking a winch is like picking tires. Everyone says the one they have is great. lol
From reading the specs it seems like the new HF winches are very reasonable and most the complaints about the old design have been fixed.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online