Will TPMS sensors work on pre TPMS Bravada Rims

Jkust

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Hi all, we are still rolling along with our 07 Rainier and our 07 9-7 after a decade. Two of the aluminum 6 spoke Rainier rims are leaking very bad from around the bead from corrosion on the inside of the rim that isn't visible now that it is cold here in MN. The tire shop had ground the corrosion down last fall when this was happening warning us it would be a temporary fix and it was. They leak worse than ever.
I can't for the life of me get hold of any exact replacement Rainier/GMT360 rims locally at any salvage yards and EBAY are expensive. The only ones I can find are from a Bravada and look the same but are pre TPMS as the Bravada never got the TPMS sensors and also they are a cheaper silver painted instead of aluminum model. My question is, can the the TPMS sensors fit correctly into the pre TPMS rims?
If I was to buy the rims, it has to be all four as the salvage yard won't break up the set and I'd be stuck with them if they don't work with TPMs.

Thanks everyone.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Yes. The TPMS portion is on the tail end of the valve stem inside the tire and just "floats" there. Should be no issue.

You could also just not use tpms and ignore the light. I have been doing that for near a year now since my tpms sensor died and I haven't taken it to get the sensor replaced, even though I bought a new sensor months ago lol.

If you do use them, consider new ones. If you are still on originals their batteries have to be near end of life and it would suck to have to get your tires dismounted yet again to replace them.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On the higher end trucks that have a DIC, you also get an annoying "service tire pressure system" message that you have to acknowledge to get rid of it every time it's started. The Less Stuff trucks only have a useless light.

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I can't for the life of me get hold of any exact replacement Rainier/GMT360 rims locally at any salvage yards and EBAY are expensive.

Dont forget to try Craigslist.. From the main craigslist page, go to auto parts, and punch in your make and model. You will usually find someone parting out something. Thats how I found the parts I needed for my Rendezvous, in the color I needed! Its also how I found my 05 Denali Rims with NEW -0- mile tires for 180 bucks!

Example for my Town:
Craigslist Autoparts Rainier
Craigslist Autoparts Envoy
Craigslist Autoparts Trailblazer

I would have given you an example for your nearest town, but your profile doesnt have that info.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
On the higher end trucks that have a DIC, you also get an annoying "service tire pressure system" message that you have to acknowledge to get rid of it every time it's started. The Less Stuff trucks only have a useless light.

Yeah, my Silverado is an LT and does that. Gotten used to it after a year, tho still minorly annoying.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online