Will these speakers fit?

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Hi guys! After much research, and real world listening at Best Buy, I picked up these JBL speakers from Ebay for 60 a pair. My question is, will I need to mod anything or pick up any extra parts? I remember Paul sayimg he has these in the fronts, but I'm looking to do all 4. Also, my prelude friend needed wire adaptors for his...not sure if I need those as well.
Thanks Fam!!
Ryan

Attachments

• 20160711_134308.jpg
    20160711_134308.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 20160711_134243.jpg
    20160711_134243.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 9

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
If they are advertised as fitting 6.5" openings, and you have a non Bose setup, then they will fit in the existing speaker pods. As for speaker terminal adapters, no way for us to answer those, without knowing what's in the box.

Worst case scenario you snip the old connector off, and get some crimp on push connectors, or buy wire adapters yourself. Easy peasy.

Reactions: djthumper

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
:popo: Wait... Did you just ask me to spoon feed you? :hahano: :nono:

You can't be surprised that people in a big box store are clueless when it comes to anything. They are just there to collect a paycheck. :hopeless:

You know exactly what they are called, and you know a couple of words that are interchangeable that will give you some search results. I will throw you a line though, so you can thumb your nose at the Best Buy folks. From their website, navigate through these sections, check the available sub sections and start your search from there. You'll likely give yourself a face palm when you realize how easy it was. :biggrin: :raspberry:

1. Best Buy
  2. Car Electronics & GPS
  3. Car Installation Parts & Accessories
  4. Car Audio Installation Parts
  5. Speaker & Subwoofer Installation Parts

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
As mentioned, you can easily find adapters on ebay or most other places just by a google search. I found these on ebay by looking up "Trailblazer Speaker Adapters":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Radio-Aftermarket-Speaker-Installation-Install-Wire-Wiring-Harness-Adapter-Plug-/391454917142?fits=Model:Trailblazer&hash=item5b24880216:g:tongue:JMAAOxyeR9TF0mZ&vxp=mtr

Just be sure to match the year with the description, and you're golden...

[edit]
Also, for a full and rich sound from your radio, I highly recommend installing 3.5" speakers up on the dashboard corners. HUGE sound improvement from such small speakers!!
Again, I found a set of JBL 3.5" speakers on ebay for somewhere around $30 per pair, and I did the wiring myself. Nothing too difficult. Only part that gave me a bit of trouble was mounting the speakers in the dash corners. It's a tight area where it's tough to maneuver a screwdriver.

Last edited:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
@SnowBlazer the only thing you need to do is Dremel the opening slightly. The stock speaker is squareish... you'll see what's in the way when you place the speaker over it. The screw holes mount up in the same location as stock.

Reactions: SnowBlazer

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
You got pics? I've seen guys throw tweeters in the dash vents but not full speakers

I'll take them tomorrow. It's too damn hot to remove the dash cover thingy that they're under, but I'll take a pic from the outside to try and show it the best I can. I'll also try to find and take a pic of an extra 3.5" JBL speaker that I have in the garage. I know I have an extra one...somewhere...and it's exactly what's on the dash.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I imagine it was a tight fit no? I have a set of 1 inch tweeters imposed on a 3 inch voice coil and it was snug just test fitting. I would think an actual speaker would be tighter.

SnowBlazer

Original poster
Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
I'll take them tomorrow. It's too damn hot to remove the dash cover thingy that they're under, but I'll take a pic from the outside to try and show it the best I can. I'll also try to find and take a pic of an extra 3.5" JBL speaker that I have in the garage. I know I have an extra one...somewhere...and it's exactly what's on the dash.
Are they these? They are the 3.5 version of what I got for the doors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/151747888390

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-07-11-21-03-43.png
    Screenshot_2016-07-11-21-03-43.png
    199.6 KB · Views: 2

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
I found the extra speaker. It was actually magnetically stuck to the fusebox cover for the house = easy to locate.

I bought three (3) sets of these speakers a few years ago because they were on sale. I used one set for the dash and I used a second set for rear pillars in my Envoy. -I'll also take pics of those when I'm outside getting shots of the dash.

*The dash speakers did not lay completely flat. They were slightly elevated, but it did not matter since the cover thingy left plenty of clearance once installed. The magnet did however fit through the hole and I secured the speaker mounting tabs with self-tapping screws. It isn't pretty once the cover is off and you're looking directly at them, but it is effective and they sound great.

I'm not shooting for optimal bass or superior sound from each speaker. I just did not like the bland sound that I got from the door speakers, alone. It just didn't sound good...no matter what the volume was set at. The dash speakers filled the sound nicely though.

Just to experiment when you're in the process of installing door speakers:
Set any sized-speaker on top of your dash, and tap into the wires from your doors. Close your doors and just listen to the difference with the radio on. You'll be impressed!

Attachments

• 20160712_095233.jpg
    20160712_095233.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160712_095310.jpg
    20160712_095310.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 5

hockeyman

Aug 26, 2012
Pics taken with my android. Dash pics were taken through the windshield from outside.

Four door speakers (not photo'd) are 6.5" Alpines.
20160712_103203-1.jpg 20160712_103137-2.jpg 20160712_103307-3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
The wave guide on the jbl helped some with sound stage.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Okay so I'm pulling through slowly but surely. One question I do have is, which wayou is correct for wiring these? Ivery tried both ways and don't notice a difference.
Little more specific brother.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
As long as they work... if they aren't labeled with positive and negative, then pick which you want to be which and hook them up consistently for each one. Then enjoy.

Reactions: djthumper

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
According to gm lighter is positive? I cut mine back past the tweeter and everything though... if that's what you're asking? The only time you'll hear a difference is when one is opposite of the other. Then everything is out of phase and you get weird canceling...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.