Will be changing the battery soon, possible to prevent HVAC actuator issues?

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I will be changing the battery in my truck this coming weekend. I have read a few posts where it sounded like disconnecting the battery can cause an HVAC actuator to die. Is there any way to prevent this, perhaps by using one of those radio station memory keeper battery things? Why does removing the battery cause this?

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
When I changed my batter recently I hooked a Battery charger to the fuse block and engine ground, so it maintained 12 volts while changing the battery. If you have access to another battery and jumper cables that would work also. I am not sure about the Radio saver thing? I have no idea how much current they carry but I would think that it would not work. especially if you open a door or something that overloads the little battery.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

Reactions: Mounce

BlazingTrails

Apr 27, 2014
Mounce said:
Or if you go with Roadie's mindset, if they fail they were already on their way out and needed replaced anyways. But I see where you're coming from, I too don't want to have to try to get to the actuators.

Good idea, Brandon, that's never crossed my mind. :yes:
The Reason I did it was because of my tune, every time you reset the PCM it re-calibrates everything, and I didn't want to have to drive it around all weird for the time it took to re-learn everything. :yes:

Reactions: BHAMER and Mounce

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
I understand Roadie's point of view, but if I don't have to change an actuator just now it is cool. Would much rather do it next July when it is nice and warm. I like the charger/jumper cable idea.

What exactly causes the thing to die when power is cut?

Mounce

Mar 29, 2014
Tuscaloosa, AL
When power is reconnected they do like a self check where they move rapidly through all of their positions which sometimes cracks them.

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I have one of these things. It seems to work.
31YmEPztL_zps065a0280.jpg

Paul Bell

Aug 16, 2014
I got home tonight from work and found this thing on my stoop:
31a1fff1d50a60834327333c077bbeaf_zpsa9239636.jpg

Reactions: djthumper

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
When ever you connect the battery back on just turn the key to on and let the actuators do there thing

They will run a self test and find there limits.
when this is skipped that is when the actuators die since they push against the stops not knowing where they are.

After turning the key to on let it sit for a few minutes you will hear the air blowing at different speeds and the vents opening and closing and feel the temp difference.

Just make shure the battery has a good charge since it will have the air blowing full when it starts its test, I let it sit for about 5 minutes it was still slowly going to a lower temp(auto ac) but it finished going thought its ranges when I started the car

Lckent48

Dec 4, 2011
It's not always a bad thing. A couple of days ago I found that I could only get air to blow out of the defroster vents, regardless of the position of the controls. I figured that if the actuator vents do a "relearn" if the battery is disconnected, why not just do it. Unhooked the battery for a few minutes, and now everything works like it is supposed to.

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
if you haven't changed the battery yet make sure you get the newest one they got on the shelf, also if you got a advance auto around you go online and buy the battery.
i had to go somewhere today and my battery was completely dead i thought it was the cold, i got a jump and drove to the airport and it died again and got another free jump, after coming home i turned it off and tried to start immediately after turning it off and nothing so it was completely dead. i got there gold battery 770cca for $106 total with tax when i bought it online using the promo code trt30

when i checked the voltage on the old battery it was 11.6v after a hour it was 10.6v now that i bought a new one the old one that started fine at the store is holding charge at 12.7v WTF :crazy: :confused:
either way its better i got a battery now before it snows also the old one was a autocraft(advanced auto) titanium(discontinued) battery 770cca made in 03/07 which is going on 8 Years WOW :yes:

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Yup, changed it this afternoon. Did the other battery and jumper cable thing, so no loss of radio stations, etc.. Worked great. Walmart (Johnson Controls) Everstart Maxx with a date code of 11/14 so she's fresh, 800cca for $99.47 plus tax.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-Maxx-78N-Automotive-Battery/16782712

Curiously enough, when I was done I turned the key to on and listed near the dash. I heard things moving in there. Wonder if these actuators always move on the application of voltage?

Reactions: Gerbil21

Gerbil21

May 28, 2014
smokey262 said:
Yup, changed it this afternoon. Did the other battery and jumper cable thing, so no loss of radio stations, etc.. Worked great. Walmart (Johnson Controls) Everstart Maxx with a date code of 11/14 so she's fresh, 800cca for $99.47 plus tax.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Everstart-Maxx-78N-Automotive-Battery/16782712

Curiously enough, when I was done I turned the key to on and listed near the dash. I heard things moving in there. Wonder if these actuators always move on the application of voltage?
i was actually going to get that one but they didn't have it near me good to hear it went well and you saved the memory idk about the actuators im shure someone can answer that

smokey262

Original poster
Sep 15, 2013
Was looking for TB info on YouTube just now and came across this excellent video from member MAY03LT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIW3bqFIVA

Reactions: BlazingTrails

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
06_4.2_4x4_ls

Members Online