Will an SS bumper fit on my LS Trailblazer?

Audiophobe

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
I was in an accident yesterday and it messed up my bumpers. I'm okay but my ride is dinged up a bit. I'd like to put the SS bumpers on my 2008 LS but am not sure if they will match up. I'm guessing that the bumper covers are cosmetic only but would like to get the GMT answer. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

RZAwora

Apr 15, 2012
Audiophobe said:
I was in an accident yesterday and it messed up my bumpers. I'm okay but my ride is dinged up a bit. I'd like to put the SS bumpers on my 2008 LS but am not sure if they will match up. I'm guessing that the bumper covers are cosmetic only but would like to get the GMT answer. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.:confused:

Hey dude, sorry to hear about your accident. Glad that everyone is okay though. As for the fitment, I don't know so you'll have to wait for one of our more knowledgeable members to answer that.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
SS bumper will fit directly no problem. However, you will also need 2002-2005 head lights or SS headlights and the crossbar grille that clips into the headlights.

4831a7c8-3643-2748.jpg

Pic for reference. The SS's of all years have the same grille/headlight setup but they have openings in the crossbar to let cold air in.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
43ecd419-3978-dd49.jpg
Headlights on the SS are the same as all the other trim model tb's that have a cross bar.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that:

All year 02-09 LS models have the flat bumper and crossbar inserts into the headlights
02-05 LT/LTZ are the same as LS
06-09 LT/LTZ have the stepped bumper and solid headlights (no crossbar in them)

SS have the same step in the bumper as the 06-09 LT/LTZ, but use the same headlights as the LS models. The grille is a mix design of the LS (inserts into the headlights) and 06-09 LT/LTZ (step in the bumper).

So, to put an SS bumper on an LS truck, your options are:

1) Also get an SS grille, or
2) get an 06-09 LT/LTZ grille and headlights

Hope this makes some sense.

willn513

Dec 4, 2011
Sparky you are correct. I wasnt real clear with what I was trying to say but you've nailed it.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
I'm looking to do this to my truck but the cheapest I can find is 450 on ebay, I'm holding out for a better deal.

Audiophobe

Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Sparky said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that:

All year 02-09 LS models have the flat bumper and crossbar inserts into the headlights
02-05 LT/LTZ are the same as LS
06-09 LT/LTZ have the stepped bumper and solid headlights (no crossbar in them)

SS have the same step in the bumper as the 06-09 LT/LTZ, but use the same headlights as the LS models. The grille is a mix design of the LS (inserts into the headlights) and 06-09 LT/LTZ (step in the bumper).

So, to put an SS bumper on an LS truck, your options are:

1) Also get an SS grille, or
2) get an 06-09 LT/LTZ grille and headlights

Hope this makes some sense.

Thanks for the input. Do you know if the new grill and bumper cover will require any extra modification? I presume everything should fit with little or no modding since they are all pretty much built on the same platform.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I don't think there is any modding needed to install the various front bumpers, but I'm not 100% certain on that. I know that the rear would since the LS has a step in it and the LT and SS are flat across so you'd need a brace across the LS step so the LT or SS bumper wouldn't cave in when something is set on top of it.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
Canary2323 said:
I'm looking to do this to my truck but the cheapest I can find is 450 on ebay, I'm holding out for a better deal.

Seen a rear bumper on ebay for $100 something.

Rudeawakening

Jan 25, 2012
I would like to do this too, I love the SS look. Do I have to do anything special to make an SS bumper fit on a 2003 LT?

Porkins

Dec 5, 2011
Rudeawakening said:
I would like to do this too, I love the SS look. Do I have to do anything special to make an SS bumper fit on a 2003 LT?

Just a SS bumper and grille or a 06+ LT grille & headlight.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Pretty much. That's all they are is just skins. You may need to adjust wiring for the SS fogs perhaps (I really don't know, haven't looked at it) but that's the only thing I can think of. That's why they are called bumper covers and not actually bumpers. The actual bumper is behind the plastic cover.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
IIRC you need different brackets.

Canary2323

Mar 31, 2012
Anyone know / have a link to brackets I would need? Think I found a used ss bumper, my trucks a o6 ls so from what I've read i just need brackets to fit on my truck and fog lights.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Ok thanks wat will I have too do too get them on

Thanks for the welcome

They're interchangeable, so reverse the steps to remove your current ones.

There would be a gap in the center of the rear bumper, so you'd want to put some type of reinforcement in the step section. Otherwise, if you put any decent amount of weight in the center section with the new bumper, you could crack it. Front bumper would leave a gap under the grille due to the dip in the center.

Reactions: KC chevy

KC chevy

Nov 27, 2018
Charlotte nc
They're interchangeable, so reverse the steps to remove your current ones.

There would be a gap in the center of the rear bumper, so you'd want to put some type of reinforcement in the step section. Otherwise, if you put any decent amount of weight in the center section with the new bumper, you could crack it. Front bumper would leave a gap under the grille due to the dip in the center.
Is there anything I can do for the gap

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Fill it with spray foam

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
yeah...

Have you found SS bumpers? They are not common and no aftermarkets are around.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
What are you going to do for the front gap?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online