Will a blown air compressor hold air.

big ed

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
I was told by the shop I go to that my rear air compressor was blown, I could hear it running but it wasn't going up much. I bought springs but had to next day air the shock's. so I went back to get the truck until I get the shock's, but the bag's are up and riding fine. is the shop just out to make money now or what? I've been going to this shop for 4 years but there's a different service writer than usual. I was supposed to take it back today but I'm not sure what to do.

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
im not sure how to test a faulty compressor Ed, but i know as long as you dont have any leaks, the bags will hold until you can get things swapped out... I've had my SS parked for 2 weeks now and I havent started it, and her ass end is still up nice and high... now when i do hear my compressor kick on, its only for a matter of seconds... is yours kicking on more frequently then you're acustomed to? or when it does kick on, is it staying on longer then usual to pump up the bags? other then that, i got nothing bro... I'll be making the switch to springs out back as well so i can avoid this scenario in the future... plus i heard the springs are a better ride then the bags anyway...

big ed

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
the compressor is not running any longer to me. the night it was down, it was very cold out. I'm thinking one of our many gremlins was playing around on that day and everything is fine now but the shop is just trying to get paid for something I really don't need...:undecided:

Boricua SS

Nov 20, 2011
Ohio
i definitely wouldnt put it passed them trying that... if thats the case for you, i would wait it out for a few weeks since we still have this cold weather around.... if it doesnt return, theres the answer... but i think im still seeing springs in your near future, maybe even lowering springs and shocks :raspberry:

a co-worker of mine has a buick rainier... thing fully deflates everyday she parks it at work... she turns it on, thing pumps right back up and shes on her way... its been like that since the day she bought it (obviously used) and shes perfectly happy with it... it would drive me bonkers...

Dec 4, 2011
big ed said:
the compressor is not running any longer to me. the night it was down, it was very cold out. I'm thinking one of our many gremlins was playing around on that day and everything is fine now but the shop is just trying to get paid for something I really don't need...:undecided:

I had the problem of them leaking down a little each night, but in the am the compressor would come on and up we went. Finally they started going down way more often so I replaced the bags with a GEN II Arnott set. Rides just right now and still have the adjust ability air provides. By the way the compressor was fine the drivers bag just rotted away at the bottom and the wouldn't hold air as it used to. Change out was easy and took about 3 hours with a couple pairs of hands and good instructions.

Really like the air and won't switch to springs since we pull a trailer every now and then so the air keeps it nice and level. Just my opinion :thumbsup:

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
Ed, It sounds like the shop is trying to make a few bucks off of you. I agree with you that it was probably a gremlin related to the cold weather.

If the bags failed then you would have noticed it progressively getting worse over the last few weeks. If the pump is shot it would either not run at all or would be leaking air down as well. If all seems well then I would hold out and see if there are anymore issues before you donate to the mechanics retirement fund.

big ed

Original poster
Nov 18, 2011
Regulator said:
If the bags failed then you would have noticed it progressively getting worse over the last few weeks. If the pump is shot it would either not run at all or would be leaking air down as well.

this is what I figured also, I picked it up Saturday and the suspension has stayed the same height since then. even put a small snow blower in back today, no change. which mean's no leak's plus supported extra weight without bottoming out or change, I think its time to find a new shop to do my repairs.

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
big ed said:
this is what I figured also, I picked it up Saturday and the suspension has stayed the same height since then. even put a small snow blower in back today, no change. which mean's no leak's plus supported extra weight without bottoming out or change, I think its time to find a new shop to do my repairs.

I know a garage in Warsaw, IN that knows his way around this platform and works cheep (Beer and Pizza). :thumbsup:

jeffro312

Oct 4, 2012
East Haven,Ct
KoI know kinda an old thread but didn't want to start a new one so sorry if I'm hijacking

My rainier some morning is on its bumper stops as low as the a$# will go. And others is normal ride height.

So in my head if bags had a leak they would leak no matter what. Right? Not just when they feel like it.

Sometimes at work I notice after maybe 2-3 hours its dropped all the way down but other times nothing noticeable

Pump goes on fills right up.

Could pump have some sort of blowback valve thing maybe malfunctioning

I just don't wanna spend money on bags if I don't need them and need the compresser or even a part for the compreser.

On a side note is there any compresser upgrades that will be sufficient for bags but at same time give more air at the connection inside back hatch

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
jeffro312 said:
KoI know kinda an old thread but didn't want to start a new one so sorry if I'm hijacking

My rainier some morning is on its bumper stops as low as the a$# will go. And others is normal ride height.

So in my head if bags had a leak they would leak no matter what. Right? Not just when they feel like it.

Sometimes at work I notice after maybe 2-3 hours its dropped all the way down but other times nothing noticeable

Pump goes on fills right up.

Could pump have some sort of blowback valve thing maybe malfunctioning

I just don't wanna spend money on bags if I don't need them and need the compresser or even a part for the compreser.

On a side note is there any compresser upgrades that will be sufficient for bags but at same time give more air at the connection inside back hatch

I just stopped today and talked to a total stranger about about his air bags, sometimes his goes down fast and others slow but all the way down. I wonder if the rate of deflation is based on how the truck/bag is sitting when it's shut off? I suggested he spray the bags and lines with soapy water and look for a leak, there only $94 at Arnott's (which he couldn't believe), at least that would rule out the compressor (I also told him how much info is on GMTNation and that he should sign up to the site). I do believe there is a GM valve repair kit for the compressor if it leaks but don't recall which thread it is in. Mine doesn't deflate much over night just a little bit if I left it for a week or so, My problem (I think) is that the pump seems to run more now, not the duration but the amount of times it turns on, maybe 6-8 times in a ten minute drive. I know my pump works okay because I stopped this morning and filled up a ladies tire that was completely flat and it didn't even overheat n shut off. Maybe try the soapy water and see if you can find the leak.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online

No members online now.