Wierd Trailer Plug

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
this trailer plug is attached to a large flat bed trailer. has anyone ever seen a hook up like this?
I am told that it is a "Warner" type plug. it has 6 pin receptacles.
the reason for the post: if someone is familiar with this type, can it be easily converted to a current 7 pin RV type plug?
thank you in advance.

jim bartor trailer 001.jpg

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
You can trace out the wiring and then change it over. If you can find the receptacle you could probably make an adapter.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
By the looks of that trailer it might exceed the tongue weight of your Trailblazer...

I'm sure you can replace that receptacle with an RV type 7 pin, as suggested.

Reactions: Mounce

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
By the looks of that trailer it might exceed the tongue weight of your Trailblazer...

by the info i was given, i was all set to pick it up. i was told it was 4200 lb. EW. which is 1000 under the max for a I6 4 x4 .borrowed a hitch from a buddy. good thing i went to look at it first. when i saw it i said no way. plus the plug would not work.

fletch09

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Posting as a reference if anyone comes across this style of plug in the future.

I did find on the cable "Warner Electric Brake Clutch". using that as search criteria, could not even come up with a pic of it.
did find out by the guy that towed it to our yard, ( we are storing temporarily for a customer) that this type of plug was mainly used by utility companies. (AT& T, Nicor ) in the late 80's early 90's. I suppose for somewhat of a theft deterrent.
the guy that towed it actually had an adapter that took this plug to a small 6 pin round plug, then another adapter that took the 6 pin round to a 7 pin RV style plug for his truck. hooked it up and all lights and brakes worked. so it should not be to hard to cut plug off and rewire to either a 6 pin round or the 7 pin RV style.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online