Why I love my Blizzaks

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Not only for the traction to move forward, but the braking performance is phenomenal. When it comes down to avoiding an accident or a pedestrian, it's that "little extra" they give in an unexpected situation.

Just wanted to share....this was on my way into work a couple weeks ago, hard to tell by the bad cell vid but the road is covered in ice, was freezing rain at the time. The vehicle in front of me way in the distance tried to stop at the last intersection, ended up sliding sideways all the way through, luckily it was a 4-way stop.

At about 22 MPH and after I stop, you can sorta hear the spinning of trying to get going again, it was very slick. The ability to stop somewhat quickly is what amazes me. I know it's a pain to swap winter tires so having an extra set of "steelies" makes it much easier and cheaper. If you live in a snow belt I can't recommend these tires enough.

[video=youtube;93cUmOUW3tU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93cUmOUW3tU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I had a set of steel wheels and snow tires for my Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) when I lived in ME. It is on my list of wants for the TB. I'll have to start hitting the salvage yards or Craigslist for wheels. It is nothing short of amazing how well you can maneuver with true snow tires.

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
If you love your wife and it snows and gets icy and snowpacked you will buy her blizzaks and steelies. I did. WS60s. She LOVES driving in the winter even more now. I felt the rubber on the tires just a min ago. The blizzaks are gummy and my all seasons are rock hard. Its -15F.

GMCman: some folks just dont understand how great snow tires are, and they get worked up when suggested to use dedicated snows. PEOPLE, snow tires are phenomenal. The small mpg tradeoff, some snows have LRR technology to them, for improved control is well worth it.

My wife beat her old man to dinner in his '09 AWD equinox. Normally a 5 min drive, it was snowing and he had understeer. We beat them by 4-5mins! Zipped right by em in fwd. We went up a size in profile and skinnier in width. Again, dry handling is compromised but the tradeoff is a win. Blizzaks, xice, winterforce, and artic grabber are all fine and suitable "winter" tires in my book.

Edit: Do NOT buy used winter tires unless the have more than 8/32nds and match on all treads.Blizzaks winter grip rubber compound fades away at about 4/32nds tread depth. The value is not there. BUY them new and score rebates. I paid $500 after rebate for 4 rims and tires.

gmcman

Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Ironically the wife had WS60's on the jetta when we had it. Huge stress relief for me when she was on the road.

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I had to drop my TB off at the dealer for a noisy bearing up front (ending up being the right bearing/hub assy - replaced under used-car aftermarket warranty) last week during our snowmageddon. I drove the TB to the dealership with the kids and my wife drove her '04 Impala. We saw a couple of cars off the road on the way there, so she "let" me drive home. The next day we started talking about snow tires and AWD for her. Wow, did her car suck in the snow! I had driven it before in the snow, but knowing it's limitations, always just put up with it. She never complains about it, so it is not on my list of things to "fix". I looked on CL and found a set of Goodyear Ultra Grips mounted and balanced on steel wheels - with the wheel covers and extra lug nuts! - for $300 OBO. I looked at them and haggled a bit (well, you don't throw out OBO and not expect a lower offer, right?) and ended up bringing them home for $275. I put them on the car last night and took it out to get gas and play on some side roads. Wow! I know that snows are better in the wintry crap, but to experience it (again) is simply confidence inspiring. I told her she'll be much happier with it and I won't worry so much when she has the kids.

Now to find a set for my truck!

Juicy K

Feb 14, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
Dont have a set dedicated to the Bravada, but we have a set of WS60's for the MX-5, as long as the snow isnt too deep it gets along just as well as the Bravada. Once the snow is over 3-4" the car is utterly useless. But for a light RWD car they work awesome. May help the balance of the car. :biggrin:

coolasice

Oct 27, 2013
Northern Maine
had a set of ws60 on my work van (dodge caravan) and the work great, but if you do a lot of highway miles they will wear out quickly in the warmer weather days... they wore out within 35k miles...one season.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I agree, the winter tires make a huge difference, especially for a rear wheel drive vehicle. With my winter tires on I can drive around the city easily in 2WD most of the time. I could never do that before with all weather tires (which are better than all seasons, but still not the same).

oh05ext

Dec 7, 2011
There's a set locally on craigslist on saab 9.7 rims with only one season on them supposedly but the asking price is $800. just thought id share to anyone looking. Does the price seem accurate? Ive never priced snow tires.

Winter Tires on 18" 9-7x Wheels w/TPMS

Playsinsnow

Nov 17, 2012
oh05ext said:
There's a set locally on craigslist on saab 9.7 rims with only one season on them supposedly but the asking price is $800. just thought id share to anyone looking. Does the price seem accurate? Ive never priced snow tires.

Winter Tires on 18" 9-7x Wheels w/TPMS

Yes that appears to be a fair deal. For that much $$ I would have posted more pictures of all four tires. But for near new tread life, true winters lose their compound at 4/32nds, AND four rims yes I would buy them for $750 tops. I got 4 new 16" steelies and blizzaks for the wife for $800. Mounted and balanced too.

Maybe start at $650 with big bills. $800 even is fair market price for me if the tread is at 11/32 and TPMS. I don't have tpms though and it is usually wiser to go narrower and taller for a winter wheel so this may apply only to the saabies and SS guys being they are on 18" wheels. I'm getting 16s for snow rims when the day comes.

Edit: screw what others paid. They got a deal or ripped off I don't care. I'm not buying them new, I'm buying them used. Those rims are not worth more than $50 each to me iif I wanted an 18" rim.

PennTB02

Jan 26, 2012
gmcman said:
I know it's a pain to swap winter tires so having an extra set of "steelies" makes it much easier and cheaper.

C-ya said:
I had a set of steel wheels and snow tires for my Isuzu Hombre (aka S-10) when I lived in ME. It is on my list of wants for the TB. I'll have to start hitting the salvage yards or Craigslist for wheels.

Playsinsnow said:
I got 4 new 16" steelies and blizzaks for the wife.

. I'm getting 16s for snow rims when the day comes.
Edit: , I'm buying them used. Those rims are not worth more than $50 each to me iif I wanted an 18" rim.

My '02 LS TB came with an ALUMINIUM spare wheel.* When checking salvage yards do not forget to look underneath all the GM 360s in the lot. More time and work, but you will have a much better look than generic steelies IMO.

* It is painted black and does not match the other wheels. What was GM thinking?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online