Why does the TB ride like a horse offroad?

Nizar

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
recntly i noticed that my car is shaking very bad while driving off-road like iam riding a horse ! is that normal in the trailblazers ?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Need more Input!

Has this always happened? Did it just develop and it used to be fine offroad? How many miles? Has suspension and tires and fluids all been serviced at correct intervals? What terrain? What speeds? Everytime or sometime event?

Share some info and we can help you.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Nizar said:
recntly i noticed that my car is shaking very bad while driving off-road like iam riding a horse ! is that normal in the trailblazers ?
Yes. You'll notice that the condition of the trail has a lot to do with the vibration and horse-like motion. When the rocks are about 30cm diameter, your up/down bouncing may cause your head to hit the ceiling, especially if your seat belt is loose and you attempt to travel more than 10 KPH. When the rocks are about 10cm in diameter, your drinks will spill out of the cans in the drink holders, but you will not hit your head until your speed is greater than 20 KPH. When the offroad trail has no rocks, but just undulations and unevenness in the level of the trail, you can go as fast as 30 KPH, but above that and the horse-like motion will return. Trailblazers are notorious for doing this.

Lexus SUVs do not suffer from this design flaw, nor do Range Rovers. You will probably be happier offroading with one of these vehicles. Good luck! :thumbsup:

Apr 26, 2012
the roadie said:
Yes. You'll notice that the condition of the trail has a lot to do with the vibration and horse-like motion. When the rocks are about 30cm diameter, your up/down bouncing may cause your head to hit the ceiling, especially if your seat belt is loose and you attempt to travel more than 10 KPH. When the rocks are about 10cm in diameter, your drinks will spill out of the cans in the drink holders, but you will not hit your head until your speed is greater than 20 KPH. When the offroad trail has no rocks, but just undulations and unevenness in the level of the trail, you can go as fast as 30 KPH, but above that and the horse-like motion will return. Trailblazers are notorious for doing this.

Lexus SUVs do not suffer from this design flaw, nor do Range Rovers. You will probably be happier offroading with one of these vehicles. Good luck! :thumbsup:

You were on a roll, until that last paragraph. :smile:

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
ZR2Trailblazer said:
You were on a roll, until that last paragraph. :smile:
Nah, I was chuckling about the reception and sympathy that sort of post would actually RECEIVE on a Lexus forum. I bet some owners have asked for warranty repairs after their first offroad excursion. Oh, ick! Dirt!!! :rotfl:

jbones

Dec 5, 2011
Nizar said:
...that my car...

Have you ever thought to apologize to your TB for the "car" insult, TB's have feelings too you know. Try it and see if the ride improves. Are you married, same principle. :smile:

fishguy1123

Dec 5, 2011
With 2wd what kind off roading do/can you do? Do you have any off road experience prior to your tb? :confused:

Apr 26, 2012
the roadie said:
Nah, I was chuckling about the reception and sympathy that sort of post would actually RECEIVE on a Lexus forum. I bet some owners have asked for warranty repairs after their first offroad excursion. Oh, ick! Dirt!!! :rotfl:

I was going to suggest he move to a Jeep instead. Everyone knows Jeeps are better at everything off the roads, including ride quality and comfort. :smile:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
ZR2Trailblazer said:
I was going to suggest he move to a Jeep instead. Everyone knows Jeeps are better at everything off the roads, including ride quality and comfort. :smile:

That's a dangerous pissing contest....

Apr 26, 2012
davenay67 said:
That's a dangerous pissing contest....

Nah. Jeeps are okay. If nobody owned them, who else would I ridicule?

A lot of my wheeling buddies drive them. Some know what they're doing. Many don't.... yet. :smile:

davenay67

Jan 16, 2012
ZR2Trailblazer said:
Nah. Jeeps are okay. If nobody owned them, who else would I ridicule?

H2 and H3 owners....:crazy:

Until last month I would also have put FJ owners on that list, but the FJ that came with us to the Badlands did freakin' awesome for having nothing more than AT tires..!! Went everywhere the Jeeps did with the exception of a couple of sections where the IS left his wheels dangling to the point where he was too nervous to go any further....

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
The TrailBlazer/Envoy also have a fairly short wheelbase, so that alone contributes to the bucking bronco offroad ride...you should try an original Chevy K-5 blazer sometime :biggrin:

Apr 26, 2012
davenay67 said:

Until last month I would also have put FJ owners on that list, but the FJ that came with us to the Badlands did freakin' awesome for having nothing more than AT tires..!! Went everywhere the Jeeps did with the exception of a couple of sections where the IS left his wheels dangling to the point where he was too nervous to go any further....

I've wheeled with only one FJ. Very capable. Way too ugly for me though.

The only real problem I have with Jeeps is they are the V6 Mustang of the off road world. Somebody wants to go get in trouble somewhere so they buy a Jeep, which of course is automatically more capable than whatever you drive. My buddy bought a Rubicon a few years back, and not long after, I got a call on the weekend to come pull him out of a sandy mud hole on the tank trails at Lejeune. Same guy a few months later came along to Uwharrie and we breezed up Daniel together. So, some can be saved and some can't. Every time I hear about the cops busting someone out at the power lines its a bunch of Jeeps and full size trucks out there tearing it up.

Maybe all the Jeeps at every base I've been to has something to do with my distaste for them. :smile:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
davenay67 said:

Did he have any chassis tearing afterwards? :tongue:

Yeah I know they fixed that, but still a little unnerving to think about :crazy:

Nizar

Original poster
Dec 7, 2011
the roadie said:

100% true :biggrin:,is there any better Suspensions than the oem ?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Prerunner is better

navigator

Dec 3, 2011
in lieu of getting more information from the OP, I would say you are still rocking stock shocks which aren't that great to begin with.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online