Why are some people so cheap and lazy?

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
need to rant for a second

I was in the process of installing a new radio in my car(non trailblazer) I get the dash apart, get the old radio out and find some bozo, wired the old radio right into the harness. Why are some people so cheap and lazy, they cant spend $10 on a harness? now I have to take apart the harness I just made, cut all the wires off the old radio, find a wiring guide and rewire this damn radio. What should have been a simple 15 min job(including disassemble and reassembly of dash) is now going to turn in a multiple hour affair

*rant over*

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Only buy new factory-fresh vehicles? Oh, right..... :biggrin:

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
the roadie said:
Only buy new factory-fresh vehicles? Oh, right..... :biggrin:

If I could buy a RWD, Manual Transmission, Two door convertible with an available removable hard top for under $2500 it wouldn't be an issue.

Short Bus

Dec 2, 2011
Me007gold said:
need to rant for a second

I was in the process of installing a new radio in my car(non trailblazer) I get the dash apart, get the old radio out and find some bozo, wired the old radio right into the harness. Why are some people so cheap and lazy, they cant spend $10 on a harness? now I have to take apart the harness I just made, cut all the wires off the old radio, find a wiring guide and rewire this damn radio. What should have been a simple 15 min job(including disassemble and reassembly of dash) is now going to turn in a multiple hour affair

*rant over*

That's how it was done for years before the harnesses became available. IMO there's nothing wrong with hard wiring you stereo to save the cost of an over priced harness that saves you chimes. If the harness was $10 when I did my stereo I would have got one, but I wasn't paying $70+ for one (cheaper now, about $30)

Oh and who's the lazy one? Your the one bitching about looking up the wiring diagram and doing more work :raspberry:

BTW here's a good site for wire guides

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-wiring-diagrams-and-car-radio-wiring-diagrams/

Hypnotoad

Dec 5, 2011
Short Bus said:
That's how it was done for years before the harnesses became available. IMO there's nothing wrong with hard wiring you stereo to save the cost of an over priced harness that saves you chimes. If the harness was $10 when I did my stereo I would have got one, but I wasn't paying $70+ for one (cheaper now, about $30)

Oh and who's the lazy one? Your the one bitching about looking up the wiring diagram and doing more work :raspberry:

http://www.modifiedlife.com/car-stereo-wiring-diagrams-and-car-radio-wiring-diagrams/

That hasn't been the norm since the 80s.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I have seen some strange things done with car stereo installs. The most common used by amateurs seems to be wire nuts, do not work very good on stranded wire. Some strange things I have seen, duct tape, hot glue, and my all time favorite band-aids (seriously).

The last harness I bought for my truck was $6 shipped off ebay, had to run an ignition wire but oh well. I spent around $80 on the first one and it was ripped out along with my radio, bluetooth module, GPS module and the XM tuner.

Me007gold

Original poster
Nov 20, 2011
Short Bus said:

Car Stereo Wiring Diagrams and Car Radio Wiring Diagrams

Its not a trailblazer, its an early 90's Japaneese car. Simple wire job, but its still not the point, the harness would have been under $10. Dash kit on the other hand, I cant find a good one to save my life. They all look like shit.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigboylove