Why am I seeing so many burned out bulbs?

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
All makes and models. Headlight, taillights, running lights, various exterior bulbs. Just seems in the past couple of weeks I see at least one every evening.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Have you checked the voltage coming from the alternator when it's running? Anything higher than 15V would really shorten bulb life.

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Mooseman said:
Have you checked the voltage coming from the alternator when it's running? Anything higher than 15V would really shorten bulb life.

I believe Mark20 is talking about other vehicle he sees on the road.
It's probably a combination of a long winter and people just not checking their lights.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Agreed: numbnutz and lazy owners, combined with an urban legend that says if you flash at a pediddle, and they're gangbangers, they'll turn around and chase and kill you as an initiation rite. So the social pressure to keep ones lights in good repair is gone.

jrSS

Dec 4, 2011
the roadie said:
Agreed: numbnutz and lazy owners, combined with an urban legend that says if you flash at a pediddle, and they're gangbangers, they'll turn around and chase and kill you as an initiation rite. So the social pressure to keep ones lights in good repair is gone.

Geesh....what is this world is coming to??

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
And another taillight while running an errand around lunch time.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Wooluf1952 said:
I believe Mark20 is talking about other vehicle he sees on the road.

:duh::duh::duh: Well, maybe he should stop them and ask what their voltages are :crackup:

Who knows but it does happen to everybody. Sometimes you just don't have the opportunity to pick one up and replace it but I know I usually do within a reasonable time. One time I had a burned tail that I never saw. My wife did know but didn't tell me until I saw it backing up in a window and seeing the reflection.

Mark20

Original poster
Dec 6, 2011
I wonder if I'm just getting more in tune with cars since I've been hanging out around here. I should put a brick on the Voy's brakes, turn the lights and 4-ways on and take a walk around her.

Menthol

Dec 8, 2011
Mark20 said:
I wonder if I'm just getting more in tune with cars since I've been hanging out around here. I should put a brick on the Voy's brakes, turn the lights and 4-ways on and take a walk around her.

I remember one morning I pulled you next to this lady and told her both her brake lights were out (Not TB) only the third light was working. Same day, leaving work work buddy says the me your brake lights don't work only third light. I smiled thinking I was telling this lady this morning her lights don't work and she probably saw mine was not working after speaking to her. :redface:

Denali n DOO

May 22, 2012
lol, ever since you started this thread I'm reminded of it almost every day when I'm out driving, sure is a lot of burned out bulbs and lazy ass people...

dmanns67

Apr 3, 2013
Ohio
:iagree: On the way to work tonight (I-81 N) I passed 4 different vehicles with issues. Two had a headlight out, one brake light out, and the other turnsignal out. Along with the social pressure, I do not think law enforcement around here is too much worried about burned out lights. Also, before I hit the road at night I usually turn on my lights and do a walk around of the TB, old habit from running convoys.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jvest

Members Online