Whooshing from rear driver's wheel after each rotation

DgTerrell

Original poster
May 22, 2012
I purchased my truck from a dealer a few months ago and have probably put 10k miles on it. Ever since then I've been trying to learn how to do some more of the basic maintenance jobs with my truck so I can save money. Yesterday I decided I would take a look at my brakes and clean them because I've been hearing some screeching off and on. I also went ahead rotated my tires. My brake pads looked practically straight out of the box with a ton of life left on them. My front rotors looked better than my rear, but the rears didn't seem to be in too bad of shape. After I was done, I went for a small drive to make sure everything seemed to be back in working order. I started to hear a whooshing sound coming from the driver's rear wheel after each rotation. Or I guess you could also describe it as a light scuffing noise. The sound came both when the brakes were and were not applied. Kinda sounds like air being pressed out of basketball pump or something, but only would do it one time each wheel rotation (if I go slow, then I hear it fewer, faster I hear it more).

Could somebody help diagnose what this could be? I took off the brake pads and cleaned them, and cleaned the rotors. Maybe a possible warped rotor? But if so, why would it make that noise only after I rotated my tires.

Also, like I said, my brake pads look brand new. If I were to get new rear rotors, can I put the brake pads I have already back on?

Thanks for any help

Jan 21, 2012
when you put the wheels back on how did you tighten the wheel nuts? did you just snug the nuts in a crisscross before torquing them? also how did you rotate your tires, front to back same side or criss cross? some times you can get different noises from the tires when you criscross them.

DgTerrell

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Enderbygrandpa said:
when you put the wheels back on how did you tighten the wheel nuts? did you just snug the nuts in a crisscross before torquing them? also how did you rotate your tires, front to back same side or criss cross? some times you can get different noises from the tires when you criscross them.

While lifted I put the lugnuts back on by hand in crisscross, I then lowered and torqued them to 103 ft/pds. I rotated my tires by front to back, back to front. They're directional tires.

lint

Dec 4, 2011
You could check the backing plate or dust cover to make sure you didn't bend it in a little . It only takes a little to make it hit the rotor and make noise.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
And see if the noise changes with a little emergency brake lever activation. The ebrake shoes are inside the little hub section of the rotor, and you could have moved them a bit with the rotos removal.

DgTerrell

Original poster
May 22, 2012
Well, now I feel real stupid. I just realized I didnt even take the rotors off to clean the backside of them. I'm blaming a mixture of the heat (103 on the black top, Kentucky humidity and no shade) and my extreme newbeness for the cause of my stupidity.

At least that should eliminate the idea of the backing plate and ebrake shoes causing the noise!:blush:

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
My suggestion would be to drive it for a while,it will either get worse or go away and I'm banking on the later.The E-brake suggestion seems the most plausible to me...Mike.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online