Whole house water filters/softeners

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
I have a softener in my house I just bought, but it is old (Culligan Gold Star I think it is) and the valves get stuck every so often and needs the old hammer beating to get it going again. Plus, my water has sulfur in it so it just smells and tastes bad. Shame my well isn't a real good one like my parents have.

So... any recommendations on a good system? I can install myself, that isn't a big deal. Just don't know what is good and what is crap out there, and I don't really want to spend $1k+ on something that is worthless, or overkill.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Wish I had good advice, because sulfur in my household water would be a reason for me to sell the place. Hopefully you can get a solid system in place ASAP

Reactions: Mounce

fletch09

Nov 20, 2011
first off, you need to get your water tested to see whats in it.
my company deals with Chandler Systems Inc. (CSI) they are in Ashland, OH 1-888-363-9434, 1-419-281-6829
talk to Duane (ext 205), Russ (ext 204) or Tony (ext 202)
ask them for a local dealer close to Mansfield.
that dealer should be able to have your water tested, or send it in to CSI for Testing.
( if not, PM me and i will send you a sample bottle that you can send directly to CSI)
CSI sells systems that will take care of just about any thing in your water. but you need to know what's in it first.
it may cost a little more, but they sell quality systems. been dealing w/ them for 10+ years
ask for a few area dealers, and talk to them, one may just sell you the unit and let you install.
good luck

Reactions: djthumper

hrddrv

Dec 4, 2011
I am a ex Rainsoft installer. I like them and would recommend them. Agree with Fletch get your water tested and see what needs to be done.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
As already stated getting it tested is the best thing to do.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Yes, definitely have it tested, a must do.

We have the gold Culligan softener also, been doing well but we also have the 20" 'Big Blue" whole house filter as well. We use the 5 micron outer/1 micron inner filter, works very well....change it out every 11 - 12 months.

Sparky....you mentioned you have to hammer the valves on occasion? I feel I need to also but heed my warning....don't beat the end of the big red/blue slider valve.. :nono: , wanna hear what happens?

Mine is stubborn also and I've had to use a good hit with the palm of my hand to get it to move. About a month ago I moved it into the bypass and gave it a good whack.......wanna guess how much water comes out of a 1" hole with 50 PSI behind it.....lol.

Each of those colored caps have 2 tabs to hold them into the bore, one broke and shot out the other end, I have a stack of zip ties holing it together now until I change it out but it's a stout repair....it's not coming apart anytime soon.

Not sure what made it brittle since we don't have any chlorine but it makes me rethink the plumbing around the unit since we're on a well.

Sparky

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
Thanks for the tips guys. I talked to one person around here and he just suggested a whole house carbon filter as most cases that takes care of the sulfur (and likely the bit of iron I have too). That would be the cheaper route, but I do want to get the water checked just to be sure. Part of me wants a whole new setup since that old Culligan needs persuasion on occasion.

The lady who was here previously was 85, lived here all her life, and she was still in pretty good health (had the onsets of dementia though so family moved her closer to be able to take care of her). Given that I think the water is fine aside from the stink.

gmcman, no worries I only hit the metal part and the side of the housing, not the blue knob lol.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sparky said:
gmcman, no worries I only hit the metal part and the side of the housing, not the blue knob lol.
We may have a different setup then, I didn't like all the plastic in mine when we bought it but looked fairly well made. The housing around the bypass valve is all plastic as well as the valves. Now I don't like it....plans are in the works for sure.

Attachments

• 20141118_092244s.jpg
    20141118_092244s.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20141118_092316s.jpg
    20141118_092316s.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 7

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MEHMET ONUR