Who would have freaking thought???

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Since changing a bad water pump, and cutting off my resonator I'm actually getting better gas mileage!!

We calculated about 2 weeks ago that we were getting exactly 12 MPG before changing the water pump and cutting the can off.

Since we have changed the water pump(Thursday Night) and cutting the can(yesterday) it's actually gone up. We calculated that the DIC isn't off by much, we are getting 13.5 MPG!!!

I have NEVER seen our DIC say anything over 12mpg's. When we first bought the truck, the DIC was at 9mpg.

Now look at it!

Saturday

IMG_20120514_132011.jpg

Today

IMG_20120514_142511.jpg

And I haven't changed the way I drive it either. I'm still driving with a heavy foot, and probably always will. I'm actually very excited!! :wootwoot:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
I average about 14.8759875 and 14.97825 mpg. Even after the water pump, t stat and temp sensor change it did not seem to change much.

Maybe after we get into the house I can play with the exhaust and stuff to try and get some improvements. Congrats on your extra mileage, that's like getting an extra gallon of fuel.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I average about 14.8759875 and 14.97825 mpg. Even after the water pump, t stat and temp sensor change it did not seem to change much.

Maybe after we get into the house I can play with the exhaust and stuff to try and get some improvements. Congrats on your extra mileage, that's like getting an extra gallon of fuel.

Thanks! It's really exciting. It's not much, but after 4 months of getting no raise in MPG's despite anything we did has been frustrating. I can't wait to install the e-fan kit and see what I get from those. I'm also going to try and do something with the cat converter eventually. I'm not sure if a new exhaust system will help with gals mileage, but it's worth a shot. If not, at least it will sound good going down the road.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
the roadie said:
And an excited Voymom is a frisky Voymom! :biggrin: I can only imagine what you'd say about getting 17 MPG. :eek:

17MPG!!!! :wootwoot: I might have to have hubby drive while I party out of the sunroof!!!! :biggrin:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
blazinlow89 said:
I average about 14.8759875 and 14.97825 mpg.
The word "about" and 7 decimal places can not be used in the same sentence, hehehe

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
I never thought the resonator would play a difference in MPG's. I mean yeah the truck lost about 15lbs of weight, but that's not a huge difference considering the overall weight of these vehicles. I wonder if I gained HP too :undecided:

It just makes me want to start ripping useless shit out and off of this truck. I mean does it really need that silver shiny thing under the hood :raspberry:

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
RayVoy said:
The word "about" and 7 decimal places can not be used in the same sentence, hehehe

I would make my math teachers proud. Thought it was ok cause I used a range :biggrin:

I guess it is off with the resonator then, maybe the cat too.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I would make my math teachers proud. Thought it was ok cause I used a range :biggrin:

I guess it is off with the resonator then, maybe the cat too.

Hubby wants to take the cat off too. But my main concern is if the fumes and carbon monoxide will be an issue in the truck. Although, at that rate I wouldn't have to worry about whining kids :tongue:

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
Tami, have you ever reset the average numbers?

You have done some things that have been increasing the average that has been accumulating for some time (the last time the DIC numbers were reset).

It usually takes a big increase to add one mpg to the average.

Where I'm going with this, is that your current real mpg is probably a lot higher that the 13.2 average displayed.

ps, removing the cat will probably cause the PCM to throw a code. The PCM likes to see a difference between the readings of the front and rear O2 sensors.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
This isn't the first time I've seen someone comment that their MPG went up after can removal. Makes me want to take my angle grinder to mine since I don't have a sawzall.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
RayVoy said:
Tami, have you ever reset the average numbers?

You have done some things that have been increasing the average that has been accumulating for some time (the last time the DIC numbers were reset).

It usually takes a big increase to add one mpg to the average.

Where I'm going with this, is that your current real mpg is probably a lot higher that the 13.2 average displayed.

ps, removing the cat will probably cause the PCM to throw a code. The PCM likes to see a difference between the readings of the front and rear O2 sensors.

Hubby reset the DIC about 20 minutes ago, won't know the feed back until tomorrow as it's sitting in the parking lot at his work. As far as the cat goes, we're thinking about punching a hole in it, and emptying all the crap in the inside, and leaving the actual cat on. Not exactly legal, but we don't have inspections here to worry about, and then we wouldn't need to worry about a possible clog. I also wanted to mention that after we cut the can, the little stutter/bogging down the voy did when touching the gas pedal is gone too, so no more stalling fears thankfully. I think I fell in love with my truck all over again today!

MacMan

Mar 3, 2012
Voymom said:
.....I have NEVER seen our DIC say anything over 12mpg's. When we first bought the truck, the DIC was at 9mpg.......

Have you ever reset the MPG in the DIC to 0, and started over??

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MacMan said:
Have you ever reset the MPG in the DIC to 0, and started over??

Yes, we have reset the DIC on several occasions with no difference in MPG read. This is the second time the MPG's have gone up. The first time was after we changed the t-stat.

AV8ER

Apr 19, 2012
That sure is a noticeable increase! When you are talking about the resonator you are talking about the big ugly black thing hanging off the back right? If so mine might come off this week!

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
AV8ER said:
That sure is a noticeable increase! When you are talking about the resonator you are talking about the big ugly black thing hanging off the back right? If so mine might come off this week!

Yes, the big ugly black thing sticking out of the back lol

Here is a pic

P1030412-1.jpg

It's pretty simple to cut it off....I would HIGHLY recommend it lol took me almost 4 months to convince hubby to do it for me, and it has been more than worth it!

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
the roadie said:
We're glad it bad off, too. :confused:

Not sure what I was saying, it is morning and I had not had my coffee yet so that is my defense and I am sticking to it... No alcohol was involved in that ramble of words ..
What I was trying to say in english was " I am glad that fuel mpg went up with the removal of the can" The brain and the fingers work so much better with coffee involved :wootwoot::wootwoot:
Ok you can resume picking on me :rotfl::rotfl:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Fire06 said:
Not sure what I was saying, it is morning and I had not had my coffee yet so that is my defense and I am sticking to it... No alcohol was involved in that ramble of words ..
What I was trying to say in english was " I am glad that fuel mpg went up with the removal of the can" The brain and the fingers work so much better with coffee involved :wootwoot::wootwoot:
Ok you can resume picking on me :rotfl::rotfl:

I feel your pain, it's one of the many reasons I don't post anything anywhere until after I have finished at least 1 cup of coffee in the morning lol

No one in my house speaks a single word, or touches me until I've had my coffee....The sun is just evil without it :biggrin:

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Even with the cat you've left the exhaust exiting under the chassis and that poses a danger of exhaust gases getting into the cabin as well especially at idle.

Removing the cat will net you some very unhappy sensors and possibly throw your truck into a warm up mode that will drop your mileage further. That said a clogged cat could be the cause or a major contributor to your horrible gas mileage.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MDBT said:
Even with the cat you've left the exhaust exiting under the chassis and that poses a danger of exhaust gases getting into the cabin as well especially at idle.

Removing the cat will net you some very unhappy sensors and possibly throw your truck into a warm up mode that will drop your mileage further. That said a clogged cat could be the cause or a major contributor to your horrible gas mileage.

I hardly never have the windows rolled up, even in the winter...so I don't think it is much of a concern as of right now. My gas mileage is actually in the normal range now that I fixed my water pump. I had a back flow test done, which came back negative for a clog, but that was about 3 months ago, so I'm getting another back flow test done to just make sure i'm still good.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
MDBT said:

Removing the cat will only throw a "cat inefficiency" code, but not affect how the engine runs. The pre-cat sensor deals with A/F ratio adjustments, post-cat sensor only checks the cat function and nothing else.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Sparky said:
Removing the cat will only throw a "cat inefficiency" code, but not affect how the engine runs. The pre-cat sensor deals with A/F ratio adjustments, post-cat sensor only checks the cat function and nothing else.

Ford uses FAOSC all over their range, wasn't aware that GM didn't.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
MDBT said:

I would either replace it with a piece of exhaust tube, or beat out the baffles/screens/other crap and put it back in place. Luckily we do not have emissions testing on vehicles in St. Mary's county, but every one else in MD does.

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I would either replace it with a piece of exhaust tube, or beat out the baffles/screens/other crap and put it back in place. Luckily we do not have emissions testing on vehicles in St. Mary's county, but every one else in MD does.

Yeah we plan on beating out all the crap in the cat and leaving it in place instead of actually removing the entire thing. We don't have any type of inspections here, so we should be all set.

blazinlow89

Jan 25, 2012
Voymom said:
Yeah we plan on beating out all the crap in the cat and leaving it in place instead of actually removing the entire thing. We don't have any type of inspections here, so we should be all set.

I would recomend you try and find a piece of rebar about 2-3' long. Works great with a small 3-5lbs sledge.

Mesoholics

Apr 2, 2012
blazinlow89 said:
I would recomend you try and find a piece of rebar about 2-3' long. Works great with a small 3-5lbs sledge.

Thats what my friend did on his old 81 2dr Grand Marquis, just rammed a long prybar through the back end of the cat and broke up all the honeycomb bits inside then fired up the car and blew it out. We did it in autoshop in High School in about 20min, It was a totally hack way of doing it but it left the now empty cat in place for visual inspections should he ever get pulled over etc, but it is not doing anything at all. That old Ford 302 sounded great with the open exhaust while trying to empty the cat too...:rotfl:

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
With the numbers in this thread i am really impressed with my mpg. Last hand calculation was over 15 and since the fan clutch change I have been seeing better instant numbers on the ScanGauge so it may be better than that now even with the big ole tires and lack of aerodynamics.

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
MDBT said:
Ford uses FAOSC all over their range, wasn't aware that GM didn't.

Ford does all sorts of things they think are brilliant, like my Taurus that has not one, not two, but three catalytic converters on it. And its a single exhaust.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
SBUBandit said:
Ford does all sorts of things they think are brilliant, like my Taurus that has not one, not two, but three catalytic converters on it. And its a single exhaust.

They just wanna be able to say, their shit don't stink!! :raspberry:

SBUBandit

Dec 5, 2011
Blckshdw said:
They just wanna be able to say, their shit don't stink!! :raspberry:

I despise that vehicle. Look at my garage, and you'll see what we call it.

MDBT

Jan 26, 2012
Voymom said:
I hardly never have the windows rolled up, even in the winter...so I don't think it is much of a concern as of right now. My gas mileage is actually in the normal range now that I fixed my water pump. I had a back flow test done, which came back negative for a clog, but that was about 3 months ago, so I'm getting another back flow test done to just make sure i'm still good.

When you say normal, do you mean what you were used to getting? I ask because 13.5mpg is lower than I would have expected you to be getting if everything was a-ok. I realize you have some more work you're planning on doing so it may not be all that relevant what MPG you're getting right now. Though I do wonder, if your exhaust system was tested and the backpressure is good, why gut the cat?

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
MDBT said:
When you say normal, do you mean what you were used to getting? I ask because 13.5mpg is lower than I would have expected you to be getting if everything was a-ok. I realize you have some more work you're planning on doing so it may not be all that relevant what MPG you're getting right now. Though I do wonder, if your exhaust system was tested and the backpressure is good, why gut the cat?

Well, I believe it is normal for the type of driving it does. I have a lead foot, and I'm always doing 10-15 over any speed limit. I'm hard on it. Plus it's all city driving, stop, go, stop, go. I think the farthest I travel in town is to Hy-vee grocery store which is about 6 miles from the house...maybe 8 miles. We rarely do highway driving, maybe 1-2 times a month.

So i'm pretty sure all that takes a toll on MPG's. As far as gutting out the cat even without a clog...to prevent a clog and having to do it anyways. It eliminates one less possible issue we could have.

Blckshdw

Nov 20, 2011
Tampa Bay Area, FL
Voymom said:
Well, I believe it is normal for the type of driving it does. I have a lead foot, and I'm always doing 10-15 over any speed limit. I'm hard on it. Plus it's all city driving, stop, go, stop, go. I think the farthest I travel in town is to Hy-vee grocery store which is about 6 miles from the house...maybe 8 miles. We rarely do highway driving, maybe 1-2 times a month.

So i'm pretty sure all that takes a toll on MPG's. As far as gutting out the cat even without a clog...to prevent a clog and having to do it anyways. It eliminates one less possible issue we could have.

I drive the same way, so I know how that feels. I average almost 16mpg per tank. If I babied it, I'm sure I could get much better. Best instant MPGs I've seen on the highway, is 20-21 on the Scangauge. Now as far as eliminating issues, yeah you need to do that. Phantom seems to be a lil injury prone!! :tongue:

Voymom

Original poster
Feb 3, 2012
Blckshdw said:
I drive the same way, so I know how that feels. I average almost 16mpg per tank. If I babied it, I'm sure I could get much better. Best instant MPGs I've seen on the highway, is 20-21 on the Scangauge. Now as far as eliminating issues, yeah you need to do that. Phantom seems to be a lil injury prone!! :tongue:

A little injury prone lmao I was hell bent not to buy another lemon after my Buick....not sure how good of a job I did :rotfl:

I should just paint him yellow....with the 5 foot HAM antenna on his roof, he would really look like a lemon then :raspberry:

DucatiSS

Nov 19, 2011
Voymom said:
I should just paint him yellow....with the 5 foot HAM antenna on his roof, he would really look like a lemon then :raspberry:

:undecided: My neighbor has a lemon tree and I am pretty sure that none of them have antennas sticking out of them. :raspberry::rotfl:

especially one made of Ham. :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher