Who wants to...

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
help me replace the passengers side CV axle in the next couple of weeks?

I'm not looking forward to it and I think it might be easier to have an extra set of "mechanic" hands.

Also, do you think it could be done without dropping the suspension?

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
You only unhook the upper control arm not the whole suspension. Its only about an hour job.

Pop tire and brakes off, 3 bolts for the hub. UBJ/control arm bolt and then slide old one out and new one in. if old one stick in the disconnect: Take a piece of rebar or similar and place it on back of the CV tripot from under the middle and use a BFH to tap it out. I rotate the cv while doing it sometimes, but it works well if you even need to do it. Sometimes you do and sometimes you dont. Then slap it back together.

Reactions: Matt

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I'm in Mansfield so not too far. Been there done that with both my CVs. I can help if you like.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Thank you guys for the replies! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

J, I'm saving you for the garage power mate! :rotfl:

neo, I'll give you a shout, but probably next Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th.

Matt

ETA: I'm going to buy the brand new Dorman part from Summit because it's 3 minutes from my house, in stock and the same price as everyone else once you add shipping costs, including Rockauto.

Reactions: Sparky

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Matt,
If it is in your budget. I personally would replace them both. Also a good time to install new oil/grease seals on the diff. I am game to do whatever you need though.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Cardone is good but I had the boots tear easy offroad. You should be good though.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
neohio said:
Matt,
If it is in your budget. I personally would replace them both. Also a good time to install new oil/grease seals on the diff. I am game to do whatever you need though.
The drivers was replaced a couple of years ago because my former mechanic (got rid of him and do it myself now) ripped the boot when he was doing something , grease flung out and went dry so he replaced it.

Which seals on the diff...looks like there's a couple of different ones (diff seal, diff shifter seal, pinion seal, carrier seal etc)?

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
HARDTRAILZ said:
Cardone is good but I had the boots tear easy offroad. You should be good though.
You know me mate...mall crawler! :yes:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Matt said:
The drivers was replaced a couple of years ago because my former mechanic (got rid of him and do it myself now) ripped the boot when he was doing something , grease flung out and went dry so he replaced it.

Which seals on the diff...looks like there's a couple of different ones (diff seal, diff shifter seal, pinion seal, carrier seal etc)?
Outer seal since it rides on the CV axle.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Just looked on Rockauto to try and give you a part number. But that was a pointless venture. Hopefully someone else can chime in and give a reference part number?
Personally, I would order SKF 15552. But seeing as my truck is 2wd, I am not comfortable making a part suggestion that I have not verified myself in the past.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Dealer item, don't think there is an aftermarket that actually fits yet.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
Sparky said:
Dealer item, don't think there is an aftermarket that actually fits yet.
Well of course it is! :hopeless:

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
They aren't overly expensive. I bought all the guts for my disconnect (inner and outer seals, 3 bearings, thrust washers) for $60 ish shipped from gmpartsdirect

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
If we were to take out the disconnect, is there anything that would have to be replaced due to taking it out or would we be OK to take it out, clean, regrease and replace if the bearings were OK?

Any parts that need to be replaced are available where? I'm assuming dealer like gmpartsdirect.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you pull it out I'd replace both shaft seals at minimum (inner seal on the intermediate shaft, outer seal for the CV) even if the rest of the guts are OK.

Although frankly I'd plan on the bearings being worn and go ahead and order them, then just replace while you have it all apart. Otherwise, if you plan on them being OK and they're not then you're running around to local GM dealers hoping they have the bearings and not at stupid inflated prices.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If you pull it out I'd replace both shaft seals at minimum (inner seal on the intermedi

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Matt said:
Thank you guys for the replies! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

J, I'm saving you for the garage power mate! :rotfl:

neo, I'll give you a shout, but probably next Saturday 9th or Sunday 10th.

Matt

ETA: I'm going to buy the brand new Dorman part from Summit because it's 3 minutes from my house, in stock and the same price as everyone else once you add shipping costs, including Rockauto.
Matt,

Saturday or Sunday works, shoot me a PM and I'll give you an address and phone #.

Matt

Original poster
Dec 2, 2011
neohio said:
Matt,

Saturday or Sunday works, shoot me a PM and I'll give you an address and phone #.

Will do, but I have to postpone for a couple of weeks...something more urgent took my money.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
I honestly just regreased mine and did not touch the bearings or seals when I had the disco out and apart. I did have to source half a housing from breaking it on removal. I would just open it up on the truck and regrease if it was me. The housing are not so strong. My spare one came with a cracked housing and had to get another half to make it good.

neohio

Nov 11, 2013
Matt said:
Will do, but I have to postpone for a couple of weeks...something more urgent took my money.
Not an issue at all. I know that feeling well. I have school supplies for 2 coming out this week. I often wonder why they can never keep stuff from the previous year. How do you lose a calculator EVERY year?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online