Who has experience with air bags

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
It was the last day of winter and a storm blew through. When I left work yesterday the Voy was sitting on the ground like a low rider. In the past it has sagged and then inflated to normal height. I though that it would inflate when I started the engine, but to my surprise NOTHING. I parked it in the garage last night and went out this morning started it thinking again it would inflate, but again NO. It then occured to me that perhaps somehow some ice may have gotten in the height adjusting mechanism so I parked it in the driveway and waited. I wasn't sure if the compressor was shot or not but it would run when I turned it on using the switch in the back cubby hole. I left the truck for a couple of hours and when I had to go somewhere it inflated to it normal height.

This brings me to my question. When I was researching the air bag system I read where the OEM bags seem to have a shelf life of around 5-6 years. Is this accurate? If it is I would think about ordering a set of Arnott Generation II for the Envoy and changing them out. I have also heard that the bags rot out and leak causing the compressor to run more than normal thereby ruining it. What are your experiences with these bags? I understand R&R is relatively simple, anyone have any advice with respect to exchanging bags.

Thanks for any and all help provided.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
silvernclean said:
U could always get rid of the bags and go with coils.

I know I could but we like the ride with the bags and we pull a 4500 boat with this vehicle so the bags keep it nice and level when the boat is hooked up.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
RedEnvoyDenal said:
This brings me to my question. When I was researching the air bag system I read where the OEM bags seem to have a shelf life of around 5-6 years. Is this accurate? If it is I would think about ordering a set of Arnott Generation II for the Envoy and changing them out. I have also heard that the bags rot out and leak causing the compressor to run more than normal thereby ruining it. What are your experiences with these bags?

I have an 07 and changed my bags as a precaution,I believe that I wasted my money because the old bags were like new at 55K miles.I think that in places like Arizona the bag life may be shortened by the intense dry heat but,us northerners probably get a break there.
I'm thinking that you had(have) moisture in your compressor which froze and opened the deflate valve.
Also,because it runs from the inflate switch is no indication that all is well,the inflate switch bypasses most of the complicated circuitry located in the compressor logic board.
The LED at the inflator station will flash a 001,002 or 003 code if there is a system failure,so look for that if there are more problems.
I do not like the metal bands on the Arnott bags because I see road salt issues with them,and Arnott never responded to my email as to wether the bands were SS in composition.....Mike.

RedEnvoyDenali

Original poster
Dec 4, 2011
northcreek said:
I have an 07 and changed my bags as a precaution,I believe that I wasted my money because the old bags were like new at 55K miles.I think that in places like Arizona the bag life may be shortened by the intense dry heat but,us northerners probably get a break there.
I'm thinking that you had(have) moisture in your compressor which froze and opened the deflate valve.
Also,because it runs from the inflate switch is no indication that all is well,the inflate switch bypasses most of the complicated circuitry located in the compressor logic board.
The LED at the inflator station will flash a 001,002 or 003 code if there is a system failure,so look for that if there are more problems.
I do not like the metal bands on the Arnott bags because I see road salt issues with them,and Arnott never responded to my email as to wether the bands were SS in composition.....Mike.

Thanks Mike. You are probably right. It thawed out and the bags are working perfectly again. Didn't know there was an LED in the inflator station, I will have to look for it. I think I have been in there twice, once to see what was under the cover and this time to see if the switch did anything. We don't have much of a salt problem here since it doesn't work at minus 300 below (well maybe -30).

Thanks again, I guess I will just wait for problem to develop and hope it never does. :thumbsup:

Wooluf1952

Nov 20, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
northcreek said:
I have an 07 and changed my bags as a precaution,I believe that I wasted my money because the old bags were like new at 55K miles.

:iagree:
I don't have a lot of miles on my Envoy, but it's over 9 years old with no problems withe the bags.
I'll keep the Arnott info at the ready. But, until the bags leak, I see no reason to change them. :twocents:

flyweed

Apr 20, 2012
speaking of pulling things...can anyone tell me what the Envoy's tow/weight rating is? I have a 2004 Envoy XL with the V6..and never could figure out how much I can pull with it.

As for the airbags.....my azz end went low about a week ago..and the compressor was making some weird noises..so I figured it was the compressor..I took the lines off the compressor, and installed a T fitting and inflated the bags via the air valve in the rear cargo compartment, and they inflated fine, and are holding air just fine...my bags are OEM and like I said, my Voy is a 2004, so the bags are 8 years old and still going strong. The compressor...well, that's another story.

Dan

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
flyweed said:
speaking of pulling things...can anyone tell me what the Envoy's tow/weight rating is?
Owner's Manual and lots of sites have the specs posted. I don't think we have a chart here because it's easy to find elsewhere. It depends on your gear ratio, which is a code on the RPO sticker in your glove box.
I have a 2004 Envoy XL with the V6..
I bet you'll find somebody replaced it while you weren't looking with an I6. Go look. :wink:

flyweed

Apr 20, 2012
the roadie said:
Owner's Manual and lots of sites have the specs posted. I don't think we have a chart here because it's easy to find elsewhere. It depends on your gear ratio, which is a code on the RPO sticker in your glove box. I bet you'll find somebody replaced it while you weren't looking with an I6. Go look. :wink:

LOL...OK, OK....I meant I6!!! :biggrin:

floridafitz

Jan 2, 2012
Winter Springs FL
Replaced my bags at about year 8 and 140k and never looked back. A Trailvoy member sold me his oem springs and I had a tech do the install. My old bags became slow leakers and I was already on my 2nd compressor. When this outrageously expensive compressor goes down you are basically screwed until its replaced. Made the decision never to be in that situation again. Must admit the spring ride was slightly stiffer than the bags at first but I quickly adjusted and never felt compromised. Level towing is another matter. My kayak trailer has virtually no tongue weight :tongue:so its no problemo.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Is there a way to drain moisture from the air suspension system? Any compressor makes moisture when it compresses, and I'd like to remove the moisture to prevent freezing, rust and failure. On a side note, I'm not sure if this is related, but whenever I shut off the engine, I hear a hissing noise from under the hood, on the passenger side near the firewall, kind of under the washer fluid bottle. It happens every time I shut off the engine. Is this related? Does the air pressure bleed off when you shut the engine off?

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
am-radio said:
Is there a way to drain moisture from the air suspension system? Any compressor makes moisture when it compresses, and I'd like to remove the moisture to prevent freezing, rust and failure. On a side note, I'm not sure if this is related, but whenever I shut off the engine, I hear a hissing noise from under the hood, on the passenger side near the firewall, kind of under the washer fluid bottle. It happens every time I shut off the engine. Is this related? Does the air pressure bleed off when you shut the engine off?

The answer to all of your questions is no...Mike.:no:

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
northcreek said:
The answer to all of your questions is no...Mike.:no:

Moisture can be drained if a water trap is installed in the air system. However it will only allow what it catches to be drained.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
kardain said:
Moisture can be drained if a water trap is installed in the air system. However it will only allow what it catches to be drained.

Where would be the best place to install one?

GotAir?

Jan 7, 2012
if you have problems with air lines freezing, you can pull off an air line and squirt in some air line anti-freeze (the same stuff semi trucks use) if you live in a cold climate and have an air suspension, that stuff works wonders. i'm not sure how hard the factory air lines are to pop off, but you could always cut one of the lines and install a union on the air line with a quick disconnect that way you could pop it off and squirt in more air line anti-freeze every month or so in the cold months of the year.

kardain

Dec 16, 2011
am-radio said:
Where would be the best place to install one?

As near to the valves as possible. As the air travels from the compressor to the valves, it cools. The water vapor reverts to liquid...

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
GotAir? said:
if you have problems with air lines freezing, you can pull off an air line and squirt in some air line anti-freeze (the same stuff semi trucks use) if you live in a cold climate and have an air suspension, that stuff works wonders. i'm not sure how hard the factory air lines are to pop off, but you could always cut one of the lines and install a union on the air line with a quick disconnect that way you could pop it off and squirt in more air line anti-freeze every month or so in the cold months of the year.

That stuff does miracles. Its added daily to semi trucks up here (in the winter) where we have freezing temperatures for over half the year. I'm just amazed that no one has issues with moisture in there lines, and the compressor not rusting out sooner.

am-radio

Apr 24, 2012
Jason24 said:
Could be the AC system equalizing pressures.

Maybe. Also I wrote down the windshield washer fluid bottle but I meant the hissing sound is under the antifreeze overflow container.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online