which way does the stock tranny cooler flow?

greggraves

Original poster
Mar 30, 2014
On a 2014 Silverado with the optional KNP transmission cooler option ... does the fluid go into the cooler in front of the radiator first, and then back through the radiator? Or the other way around. Does it matter?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I'd guess into the radiator then into the front cooler.

AWD V8

Jan 12, 2015
This may help

4L60E

1444166081.png

Reactions: xavierny25

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Normally, auxiliary coolers are plumbed to flow through the radiator cooler first and then into the aux cooler to then go back to the tranny, as per the image posted above.

nospark

Feb 20, 2012
Hazelwood MO
I am going to add a trans cooler to '07 Tahoe 5.3. Which line is leaving the radiator cooler headed back to the trans? This the line I want to replubm to goto aux cooler to chill the 190ish degree fluid before headed back. Also, do you any problem with using tubing cutter to cut metal lines and slip hoses on with clamps? or is pressure to high to trust this? Use to do this back in the day with 350 and 400 THM's. Thanks the for input.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
On full size trucks, the fluid flows out of the top cooler fitting on the rad.

I've used tubing cutters lots of times. Makes a perfect cut for this. My only advice is to double clamp each hose to avoid an impromptu fluid flush on the side of the road in -30c (ask me how I know).

BrianF

Jul 24, 2013
West central Sask.
I ran into this same issue on my 93 K1500. Without any research, I assumed the input was the top line. Well it was not. As I sat and watched the clear tube I attached to it, waiting for the fluid to come out. Any moment now. Any moment now. Well the fluid came out all right, all over the engine bay and ground. Not to worry though, this particular engine must have come from the GM factory without gaskets so it was no worse off.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online