Which tyre to buy?

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Hi there,
I have a 2009 Envoy which came with Dunlop sp sport 255/60/R17. It has now run 70,000km and I am thinking of replacing them even though they are not in a bad shape yet. Was wondering whether to replace them with the same brand . The Dunlops were ok with me though they are slippery even when the road is slightly wet.
I live in Kuwait where temperatures easily reach around 50 deg. C in summer. Rains are not much. No offroading but daily commuting around 90km on highways.
Any suggestions on which brand to buy?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
A lot depends on what your local distributors offer. I was very pleased with the low noise of some Goodyear Silent Armor AT tires with a Kevlar layer in the belt area. That should take the heat. Goodyear Fortera passenger tread tires (also with Kevlar) have also been well-reviewed.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
the roadie said:
A lot depends on what your local distributors offer. I was very pleased with the low noise of some Goodyear Silent Armor AT tires with a Kevlar layer in the belt area. That should take the heat. Goodyear Fortera passenger tread tires (also with Kevlar) have also been well-reviewed.

+1 on the Forteras. Nice thick tread should last a long time. Excellent wet weather traction, too. Far better wet traction than the stock Michelin Cross-Terrains that came with the Trailblazer LS'es here in the 'states.:thumbsup:

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
ElAviator72 said:
+1 on the Forteras. Nice thick tread should last a long time. Excellent wet weather traction, too. Far better wet traction than the stock Michelin Cross-Terrains that came with the Trailblazer LS'es here in the 'states.:thumbsup:

OK, will check on Goodyear tyres here. Like Roadie said, a lot depends on what we have here. I had earlier made up my mind on Michelin, but when I contacted the dealer, they say they don't import this size as it is very expensive (equivalent of around 300$ each) and no one would buy them.

Just wondering whether anyone has used dunlops?

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Envoy09 said:
OK, will check on Goodyear tyres here. Like Roadie said, a lot depends on what we have here. I had earlier made up my mind on Michelin, but when I contacted the dealer, they say they don't import this size as it is very expensive (equivalent of around 300$ each) and no one would buy them.

Just wondering whether anyone has used dunlops?

RE: the Michelins, I was less than impressed with them, our local tire shop warned us that they had severe weather checking after only 3 years in service :sadcry: Of course, that was only the Michelin Cross Terrains, other types of Michelins are probably better. In a hot climate, though, you will probably get weather checking sooner.

Envoy4Life

Dec 4, 2011
They're pricey, but check out the Michelin Latitude Tour. We have them on our Envoy's, and they're great.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Envoy4Life said:
They're pricey, but check out the Michelin Latitude Tour. We have them on our Envoy's, and they're great.

That's what I was looking for, but as I said, they don't import in this part of the world :smile:

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:

I need to buy the exactly same size (255/60R17), right? Or are there certain parameters that can change & will not affect the vehicle performance or safety?

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Anyone got experience with Goodyear Wrangler HP? The shop said Goodyear HP, which I assume is Wrangler HP. That's the only Goodyear tyre available here.

How about Continental?

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm beginning to think your choice is going to be influenced by:

1) What you can buy LOCALLY

2) How they hold up to your LOCAL extreme temperature conditions.

Your best source of information is likely to be your local stores and friends. Not saying we can't help, but if can't buy 80% of the tires we might recommend, it's not going to be a useful process.

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Envoy09 said:
I need to buy the exactly same size (255/60R17), right? Or are there certain parameters that can change & will not affect the vehicle performance or safety?

Not sure about overseas spec vehicles, but in the US, stock tire size with 17" rims was 245/65417. In general, adjusting tire diameter by more than 3% adversley affects antilock braking systems, and without a PCM program, the speedometer and odometer will be inaccurate. There are several websites with tire size calculators on them if you want to experiment with alternative tire sizes.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Envoy09 said:

That sounds like a plus-size....will work but like ElAviator stated, the 245-65-17 is likely what came on it.

Look at the Continental Cross Contact LX-20, I have them and so far I really like them, had the Latitude Tour before this and don't miss it...was a good tire though.

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
I've always liked the Firestone Destination A/T's

When I lived in Saudi Arabia, my dad always ran Pirelli Scorpion ATR's

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
gmcman said:
That sounds like a plus-size....will work but like ElAviator stated, the 245-65-17 is likely what came on it.

Look at the Continental Cross Contact LX-20, I have them and so far I really like them, had the Latitude Tour before this and don't miss it...was a good tire though.

The size I have, 255/60R17, is the original one which came on it. I bought this envoy new. I wonder why specs are different in the middleeast.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
the roadie said:
I'm beginning to think your choice is going to be influenced by:

1) What you can buy LOCALLY

2) How they hold up to your LOCAL extreme temperature conditions.

Your best source of information is likely to be your local stores and friends. Not saying we can't help, but if can't buy 80% of the tires we might recommend, it's not going to be a useful process.

Well, that is true, but you guys could help if you have any feedback on the below tyres. Approx. price in US$ is mentioned.

- Continental CContact 4x4: $175
- Goodyear Wrangler HP: $200
- Bridgestone Dueller HP: $240

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Anyone have experience with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV tires?

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
How much treadwear are you looking for? I would opt for the Continental Cross Contact LX-20 over the standard cross contacts. Jbones just installed the LTX MS2 and honestly that would be my first choice in your size.

Not a big fan of the Goodyears for our platform but some have had good luck with the Forteras.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
gmcman said:
How much treadwear are you looking for? I would opt for the Continental Cross Contact LX-20 over the standard cross contacts. Jbones just installed the LTX MS2 and honestly that would be my first choice in your size.

Not a big fan of the Goodyears for our platform but some have had good luck with the Forteras.

Since temperatures here are quite high in summer, I prefer to change tires every 3-4 years (around 75000 to 100,000km).
I had also read some good reviews on LX-20, but the problem is not all tires are available here. In my size, pirelli, dunlop & michelin are not available. In Continental only 4x4 Contact is available, in Goodyear only Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV. Bridgestone Dueller HP is available but I think it's too expensive.

So I am left with either Continental 4x4 Contact or Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV, and I am confused!

bigytwotone

Dec 7, 2011
Dawson creek BC Canada
i would go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV tires the continental 4x4 contact suck i had them and didn't last long at all and they were really bad in the wet season i had 50,000 KM's on them and they where down to the wear bars that pissed me off. and no i did not drive with the petal to the floor. I would have to say stay away from continental 4x4 contact you wont like them and they have no longevity to them.

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
bigytwotone said:
i would go with the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV tires the continental 4x4 contact suck i had them and didn't last long at all and they were really bad in the wet season i had 50,000 KM's on them and they where down to the wear bars that pissed me off. and no i did not drive with the petal to the floor. I would have to say stay away from continental 4x4 contact you wont like them and they have no longevity to them.

I guess you are right. Saw a lot of -ve comments on the 4x4 contact concerning their longevity.

So will most probably get the Goodyears in a week or so.

borretje

Jan 1, 2012
I love the Pirelli Scorpions,just bought them!

ElAviator72

Jan 11, 2012
Envoy09 said:
I guess you are right. Saw a lot of -ve comments on the 4x4 contact concerning their longevity.

So will most probably get the Goodyears in a week or so.

Let us know what you think when you get them :thumbsup:

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
Something strange but this is what happened to my front left tire while driving on the highway....and this happened just 2 days before I was supposed to replace all tires. Btw, I was planning to replace the tires just to be safe & not because it was worn out.

View attachment 20194

Attachments

• 07042012386.jpg
    07042012386.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 2

Envoy09

Original poster
Mar 26, 2012
So after the above incident, I got all 4 tires replaced yesterday with Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric SUV. Too early for a review since it's still in the breaking in period, but they are definitely very quite compared to my earlier tires. Also, the ride seems much smoother/cushioned like. Haven't driven yet thru wet roads and also no hard braking or cornering for the next week or so :smile:

View attachment 20197

Attachments

• 07042012387.jpg
    07042012387.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 07042012390.jpg
    07042012390.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 07042012391.jpg
    07042012391.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2

Forum Statistics