NEED HELP Which transfer case is used in '04 Envoy XUV, '07 Saab 9-7x?

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
Anyone know what transfer case is used in the '04 Envoy XUV?
How about the '07 Saab 9-7x? Here's the '07...

SAAB01.jpg
SAAB03.jpg
SAAB02.jpg

Would they be the same, '04 Envoy XUV, '07 Saab 9-7x??
Would this swap into my '04? (I need the trans...) '04 doesn't use a ISS so I think it will just be ignored as no wire in the harness would be there...

Thanks for any help.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
They are different internally. The Envoy uses a real 4x4 selectable TC while the Saab uses a part-time AWD non-selectable one. They will physically interchange but will not work in the other truck. For your Envoy, stick with a 4x4 selectable from an Envoy or TB. Although there have been swaps done, turning the Saab from an AWD to a selectable 4x4, none have been done the other way around turning a 4x4 truck into an AWD and would actually not be to your advantage.

Reactions: matermark

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
@Mooseman, thanks! Do you know which extension housing the '04Envoy XUV would use? I'm rebuilding an '07 core (7KCD) to put in the '04 XUV and I'm getting pretty close to completion, but I don't have the XUV's out yet, and looking at a WIT catalog there are SOOO many part #s but they don't list applications. If the one from the 7KCD is different than the Envoy XUV, then I won't waste time cleaning it up and painting it Dark Metallic Metal or whatever that Fusion paint color is! Thanks for all your help in the past!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
So you're rebuilding the trans. What was it from? I noticed that the bellhousing is for a V8. If your XUV is an I6, it won't fit and you'll have to swap them.

As for the tailhousing, I really don't know. Depends on what truck the trans, transfer case and tailhousing came from. If it's from a full size, the TC and TH won't work AFAIK. You'd have to swap the TC and its TH to the rebuilt trans. If they came from another 4x4 GMT360, they will work.

Searching for 7KCD, it was used in full size 4x4 trucks so I would assume the TC and TH came from that. You'll have to switch them from your XUV's.

Reactions: matermark

matermark

Original poster
Nov 3, 2020
Niagara Falls NY
YES, the trans is from '07 Sierra Classic I think; K = 4WD fullsize GM truck. The seller dropped it off with the extension, dipstick & tube, and TMBX converter for $125 delivered. I only bought the trans, not the Xfer case. The seller bought the vehicle for the 5.3 motor. My '04 XUV has the aluminum 5.3L.

EDIT: By the way, the setup pictured above I DID NOT BUY. It was from the Saab. I instead bought the 7KCD. The 7KCD internally looked like low miles, I could have installed it and drove it another 100K-150K miles! Even the clutches still looked great... BUT I would never have lived with myself if I had it installed and found something wrong and had to remove & rebuild it, so I had to tear it apart for peace of mind. I'm over-building it to handle any future engine upgrades.

Last edited:

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area

Attachments

• GM-Transfer-Case-CD-Web1(1).pdf
    3.6 MB · Views: 5

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON