Which tires to get?

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Alright so it'll be a little while until I get my new tires when I get the trailblazer lifted but I've been looking and pricing wheels and tires. I have noticed that the bfg ko2 kind of seems to stand alone atop every other tire but I am. It sure if I want to get them or something a little cheaper.

I have looked at the cooper discover AT tire, yokahoma geolander AT, general grabber AT, and the falken wild peak AT tire, I didn't know if anyone has had any experience with one of these or if everyone just goes with the bfgs? I want a good on and offroad tire, I won't be constantly going offroad but when I do I want one that performs well, thank you for your responses!

Mike534x

Apr 9, 2012
I'm personally not a fan of BFG, I love the tread pattern but they wore terribly in my opinion. After having a set of all terrains, they were toast just shy of 25k. Performance in snow/wet conditions was pretty good, but this was before they redesigned the tread pattern. I hear the newer ones aren't nearly as good. Value wise, I think the Yokohama's are great, never had an issue getting stuck when the snow fall was close to a foot give or take. They wore evenly and there really wasn't any road noise, compared to the BFG's I had so that was a plus.

My dad has the Yokohama's on his Yukon and hes been happy with them, I think hes got about 20k and they still have a good chunk of tread left. Currently, I'm running Cooper Discoverer RTX's on my Envoy. They're pretty much a Discoverer AT but made for NTB, so far they're alright. Snow and wet traction is good, but my only complaint is that they keep losing air. At first I figured it was because of my rims, but it did the same on my TB and those were in way worse condition corrosion wise then my Envoy so who knows.

Reactions: tsmith1156

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Thank you for your input, I will keep that in mind! I think the yokahoma geolander AT is a pretty good looking tire

SnowBlazer

Jun 9, 2014
Colorado Springs
Love my Ko2s but will I buy another set? No, would I recommend them to my family? Absolutely! Why? With me being in Oklahoma now, I don't have a need for an aggressive tire. My main concern back in CO was all the precipitation we got. I needed something that was going to grip well on EVERY terrain. So Ko2s it was. I'll never regret it. My next tires will probably be highway tires unfortunately since there are no trails around here. Probably going to go with 33" Armortrac's

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
Love my Ko2s but will I buy another set? No, would I recommend them to my family? Absolutely! Why? With me being in Oklahoma now, I don't have a need for an aggressive tire. My main concern back in CO was all the precipitation we got. I needed something that was going to grip well on EVERY terrain. So Ko2s it was. I'll never regret it. My next tires will probably be highway tires unfortunately since there are no trails around here. Probably going to go with 33" Armortrac's

So for me in Ohio where precipitation is a major problem you'd suggest them?

Matt

Dec 2, 2011
I'm now running the Discoverer AT3's and really like them a lot. Out of the box they made a trip to Florida and back in March through some really heavy rain and they were great.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
I have the KO2s on my Silverado. They have 20k on them and look new still.

I had Firestone Destination AT on my old Trailblazer. P metric so they weren't near so heavy as the 10 ply E KO2s, which was probably good for the 3.42 gearing that the Trailblazer had. They were pretty good, excellent tread life too, got over 60k on the first set with rotations only every 10-12k miles or so.

IMO, even if I lived in a desert where it rarely rained I wouldn't put highway tread on a lifted vehicle. Just looks weird lol.

tsmith1156

Original poster
Jul 9, 2013
Lebanon, Ohio
I'm now running the Discoverer AT3's and really like them a lot. Out of the box they made a trip to Florida and back in March through some really heavy rain and they were great.

We had a set of those on my girlfriends neon believe it or not and she never had any problems, there are just a ton of options, I'm actually leaning towards the general grabbers now after researching more, not too expensive and perform great.

I have the KO2s on my Silverado. They have 20k on them and look new still.

I had Firestone Destination AT on my old Trailblazer. P metric so they weren't near so heavy as the 10 ply E KO2s, which was probably good for the 3.42 gearing that the Trailblazer had. They were pretty good, excellent tread life too, got over 60k on the first set with rotations only every 10-12k miles or so.

IMO, even if I lived in a desert where it rarely rained I wouldn't put highway tread on a lifted vehicle. Just looks weird lol.

That's true, I didn't even think about how heavy the tires are, I have the 3.42 gearing too unfortunately. I COMPLETELY agree that the highway tires look weird on a lifted vehicle, just like when people put like 12" of lift on a vehicle and run 30" tires haha

Reactions: Matt

Z-2112

Jan 17, 2017
Dallas, TX
I put some General AT2 on my wife's Pilot in February. I got to drive it for the first time with them up in Oklahoma last week riding up on old logging trails in the Ouachita Mountains. They gripped well and did good on the highway. I liked them enough that I bought another set for my TB. I had some BFGs on my S10 back in the day but I am not sure if they're worth $70 more per tire.

John Schwarz

Jun 6, 2017
Fishers, Indiana
My favorite overall tire is the Destination A/T. They are aggressive, yet quiet. Manly, yet oddly, sophisticated. On the inexpensive side, too. I've had a few sets and they last a good, long time.

Sep 20, 2015
Western Mass.
General Grabber AT2s are very loud. BFGs seem have horrible tread life and VERY weak sidewalls. I have a friend that sliced a first-gen K0 on a rock that a set of cheapo tires didn't have issue with Yokohamas are decent but I wore mine down in under a year. I'd recommend the Cooper Discoverer AT/3 before anything.
Also, remember Cooper has a budget brand and the Mastercraft Courser AXT is the same mold as the Cooper AT/3 at a slightly lower price.
I'm currently running a Sumitomo Touring LXV and have no complaints, although I will likely go for a Pirelli Scorpion Verde AS next. This winter I will be running 17" Studded Snows on 17" Trailblazer wheels, as I had a difficult winter with the Yokos

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.