Which RTV Silicone?

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Howdy!
So which one? Soon I'll be dismantling and cleaning up a few PTUs for the Taurus', possibly attempting a trans rebuild on the one, timing chain cover, etc. all of which have no gaskets, also on the TB I will be dismantling and cleaning up the front diff and disconnect, and possibly tackling the eng rebuild since I can't find an affordable JY eng.
On both the GM and the Ford everywhere that only silicone etc is used it looks grey in color. Should I be getting Ultra Grey? Or Ultra Black? Or???
I will get the big tube used in a caulk gun to save some $, I'm assuming I'll be using several regular size tubes so the bigger one makes sense I think.
Let me know, thanks for your help,
Bill

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I have had great success using Ultra Black for everything. I would buy the reg. tube size, the caulking gun tubes are on the shelf too long and are harder to navigate on intricate parts....Mike.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
Permatex makes one called the "right stuff" look it up, grey in color as far as I know. Often comes in a pressurized can like whip cream.
Yes, I have used that one in place of differential gaskets with good luck. The things that I don't like about it, are that it's expensive and you can't reuse it after the project because the can seals permanently shut after a day or so.

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
I used the right stuff on my china rail on the 350. I reused the squirt can yesterday after it sat since July. My only problem with it is the stuff is a bear to remove. Thought it was black in color tbh. That stuff is very tough though.

northcreek

Jan 15, 2012
WNY
I used the right stuff on my china rail on the 350. I reused the squirt can yesterday after it sat since July. My only problem with it is the stuff is a bear to remove. Thought it was black in color tbh. That stuff is very tough though.
Maybe they changed the design after consumer complaints, I threw mine out having only used half of the can. What's a china rail?

littleblazer

Jul 6, 2014
Maybe they changed the design after consumer complaints, I threw mine out having only used half of the can. What's a china rail?
Lip on the front and rear of the small block where the lifter valley meets the end of the intake. You run the bead from the end of the intake gasket on one head to the other.

And the very end of the tube does dry but it acts as a plug. I leave the tip screwed on and pull the dried bit out of the end then it worked fine. It's like maybe a half inch long.

billzie

Original poster
Aug 20, 2012
Athens, OH
Ok, by the advice rec'd, the Permatex website, and what Ford and GM sealants look like, I guess I'm going to return the Ultra Black and get the Ultra Gray in the caulk tube. Unfortunately, Rock Auto doesn't carry it and would've liked to save some $ getting it there with other stuff in my order last night (Motorcraft Mercon V in a 6 gallon box and 2 gal of Motorcraft gold coolant, even with shipping there's good savings) but they do have smaller caulk tubes of Motorcraft sealants (and possibly AC Delco but I didn't check). I'm getting the bigger tube because right off I'm going to be doing the Taurus-X water pump and timing set and the PTUs from it and the Sable, also going to be doing some work on the Trailblazer soon, and may even attempt the T-X trans rebuild, among some other work I might do if time and $ allow in the nearer future. Main thing is I need to get the majority of the work done asap as I'm needing a reliable vehicle to get back to work and I'll be out of commission for 5 days or so after 11/29 when I have my heart cath done, and on top of it my daughter is going in to surgery at children's hosp as I type this. Lots going on.
Bill

mrrsm

Lifetime VIP Donor
Supporting Donor
Oct 22, 2015
Tampa Bay Area
FWIW… any questions you have and post in other sub-locations that follow a direct line back to your current Engine Swap vs. Engine Rebuild issues deserve to be posted specifically under your original topic. The reason for this is simple: Most of the Q&A has already been covered quite a few times with many contributing Members concentrating their knowledge into just a few very dense, but informative posts.

But… If you ask tangential questions in other sub-forums… you may not get the most immediate attention to your requests. In this case for example… your questions about the GM OEM certified engine and component RTV can be found here... and if you Bookmark the Link to my Photobucket and then just go systematically… Image by Image through every single Trailblazer and 4..2L sub-album there… I’d be very surprised if you don’t see something that will answer most of your questions as well and save you a lot of time and aggravation while waiting for the answers:

For ALL of the Trailblazer and GM 4.2L Parts-Pieces and Tools Sub-Albums:

Just click on the Main Album
0000TRAILBLAZERENGINEREPAIR
...to open up all the Sub-Albums and be patient... it takes a minute or so as there are a lot of images nested within:

http://s557.photobucket.com/user/60dgrzbelow0/library/0000TRAILBLAZERENGINEREPAIR?sort=3&page=1

So...for JUST the Information about the RTV issues… You should know that the AC-Delco Gray RTV Part # 10-2010 is the ONLY one to choose (on the right side in the image):

http://photobucket.com/gallery/user/60dgrzbelow0/media/cGF0aDowMDAwVFJBSUxCTEFaRVJFTkdJTkVSRVBBSVIvVFJBSUxCTEFaRVJFUEFJUlRPT0xTL0RTQzAzNjA2LmpwZw==/?ref=1

...and when ready...you can buy 'The Right Stuff'… here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007Q0ZOHQ/?tag=gmtnation-20

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.