Which Mobil 1 Oil to Choose

2840Ryan

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
When I purchased my Envoy five months ago, the used car dealer just changed the oil (not sure what he used) and used an AcDelco oil filter. Now, the oil life monitor shows it has 36% left and has a total of 152,000 miles on it. The engine has a cold knock that goes away when it warms up and I want to try Mobil 1 oil to see if it makes the cold knock go away. That being said, I'm not sure what kind of Mobil 1 oil to use. I saw the regular Mobil 1, High Mileage, and extended performance oil. Since the Envoy has over 75,000 miles, I would assume I should use the High Mileage oil. Is this correct? I have read that I want to use a Mobil 1 oil filter, correct? Thanks for the input!

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
I was using the SUV version, then I just switched out to the high mileage. You don't need the Mobil 1 filter but choice is yours. Either the M1, Puroator Pure one PL25288, Amsoil EAo64, or Royal Purple 20-59 are excellent filters.

I personally use the Pure1 but am switching over to Amsoil and the EAo64 filter, Royal Purple if I can't get the Amsoil....both are the best IMO using synthetic media.

I wanted to add, don't wait to change the oil, do it now. You don't know what oil is in there or the weight, or how long. Also, the oil life monitor can be reset without changing the oil, just play it safe. I would have changed the oil the first day I bought it.

Fire06

Dec 18, 2011
I have been using amsoil in my truck since I got it in 09. Great product and the truck runs great on it. Not sure that it or any oil will stop a cold knock in the engine during start up though.

gmcman

Dec 12, 2011
Sometimes you will hear a faint piston slap which may be what you are hearing, not to worry though. Is the knocking short upon startup or does it last for awhile?

2840Ryan

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
gmcman said:
Sometimes you will hear a faint piston slap which may be what you are hearing, not to worry though. Is the knocking short upon startup or does it last for awhile?

I figured it wasn't piston slap because it has 151,000 miles on it. The knocking lasts until the temp gauge gets up to 210, then it goes away.

RayVoy

Nov 20, 2011
The original 2002 engines were known to have piston slap, a lot of the engines were changed by GM.

It might be worth your while to check with a GM dealer to see if that program is still in effect.

Back to your oil question, the high mileage formula has additional additives to put life back into hardened seals, this might be a good choice.

TangoBravo

Dec 5, 2011
Can't help ya with which mobile 1 to pick, because I use exclusively Amsoil products 0w30 signature series and it runs smooth as a top with great fuel mileage and I have 163,784 miles on it.

MAY03LT

Nov 18, 2011
Delmarva
I use the regular mobil 1 in my high mileage TB.

vipergg

Dec 7, 2011
Be aware that going to M1 could also make that sound worse. I had a minivan that I tried ti use M1 in and the first time I started it up after changing the oil it sounded like a diesel and was a lot noisier in general . That lasted about 1000 miles and I switched back to dino oil and it quited right down , so it could go either way .

Badbart

Nov 20, 2011
My Cadillac CTS V is engineered to run Mobil 1 from the factory. I have 121K miles on it and still use regular Mobil 1 and have experienced no oil consumption. I let the DIC make the call on oil changes, usually around 7500 miles, and use an AC filter. I use Castrol dino in the Trailblazer and it has no oil consumption issues in 111K miles. I also let the DIC make the calls on oil changes and it's usually around 7500. I try to do the oil changes around 20% oil life. I expect to get 200K miles out of both engines.

KNBlazer

Feb 8, 2012
I use Mobil 1 5-30, had been using it since the first oil change after getting this truck back in 2005, switched to Mobil 1 5-30 EP when it was introduced and I as well let the oil indicator tell me when it's time to change the oil, typically in the 9-10K mile window... In the filter category, I only use K&N filters and have been since 1998.. ...

gmcman said:
but am switching over to Amsoil and the EAo64 filter, Royal Purple if I can't get the Amsoil....both are the best IMO using synthetic media.

Are you trying to find a dealer? If you are looking for AMSOIL, I am the resident AMSOIL Independent dealer here, I can answer any questions you have.

Steve
AMSOIL Independent Dealer

Mark20

Dec 6, 2011
vipergg said:
Be aware that going to M1 could also make that sound worse. I had a minivan that I tried ti use M1 in and the first time I started it up after changing the oil it sounded like a diesel and was a lot noisier in general . That lasted about 1000 miles and I switched back to dino oil and it quited right down , so it could go either way .

I've heard of this this before but with multiple brands. For some reason certain engines don't like certain oils. It may even be just one engine out of thousands made.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online