Which Inner Tie Rod Tool works for 03 Trailblazer?

crawfish

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Hi All,

A quick question for you all. I am trying to change the inner and outer tie rods on my 03 Trailblazer for the first time. However, I've run into an issue with the tie rod tool I purchased (Powerbuilt Truck/SUV Inner Tie Rod Kit #85), which does not fit over the ball joint on the inner tie rod, so I can not get a grip on the tie rod to remove it. I also went to a local Advance Auto to see if I could rent one from them, and their Universal Tie Rod tool also did not fit.

So my question is, is there a tie rod tool out there that will fit an 03 Trailblazer out of the box? I also noted in some of the posts from the former forum that someone mentioned having to modify a tool they got from Harbor Freight (#96558) to get it to work. Surely, there must be a tie rod tool out there that fits the inner tie rod of an 03 Trailblazer without modification?

Does anyone have a tie rod tool they use that they could post the manufacturer/model number ? I'm really looking for something that does not need to be modified and will work right out of the box.

Much appreciated.

crawfish

seanpooh

Jan 24, 2012
One of those big old red plumber monkey wrenches. They always worked for me. Never found an actual tool rental that worked.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Welcome! I and a half-dozen others I think have modified the HF tool. It's easy if you have a high speed die grinder. Difficult if you don't, I admit. Never heard of a direct fit tool.

First time I had to change one on the trail, I had Vise-Grip chain pliers, The chain doesn't bite into the hardened TRE metal, but by careful placement, you can catch on the flats. It took two people's worth of force because they're put on with thread locker, and you should remember to do the same with the replacement. Large adjustable wrenches work, as will the proper size regular wrench, which I can't remember the size at the moment. Take care if you can to apply a counter force to the very hardened steering rack so you don't snap it or damage the end seal.

I should point out that a TRE bent like mine is here will NOT go into the usual tool's centerbore, so offroaders need to be prepared both ways.

bald12.jpg

bald15.jpg

crawfish

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Many thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't have access to a grinder. Maybe I'll look into a monkey wrench.

You would think one of the tie rod tools out there would work, but guess not. Sigh.....

One other question related to this. Which thread locker would you recommend for this job? The medium or super strength? I've seen some posts that use one or the other, thought I would get your opinions. Also, should the thread locker only be applied to inner tie rod end when you screw it into the steering rack, or does it also go on the threaded shaft connection with the outer tie rod end?

Many thanks for the quick replies to my inquiry.

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
On the monkey wrench, I myself have a I believe 14" Husky one that seems pretty durable, and was had at a good price. I believe $20 or so. Big enough to provide leverage, but small enough not to have to have the vehicle on a lift to get at it.

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
crawfish said:
Also, should the thread locker only be applied to inner tie rod end when you screw it into the steering rack, or does it also go on the threaded shaft connection with the outer tie rod end?
I use the medium because I change them about once a year or when I break 'em, so it's not going to be a 100K sort of item. On road folks can use the super.

Holy moley never put thread locker on the outer thread. That's what the alignment shop needs to rotate to adjust toe-in. That's the reason for the jam nut - to prevent inadvertent rotation of that thread.

crawfish

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
IllogiTC, many thanks for the specs on the monkey wrench you use. I'll see if I can pick one up today and try it out.

The_Roadie, thanks also for the info on the thread locker. That is what I thought, but this being my first time doing this, I just wanted to be doubly sure. Most of the repair videos available out there do not address this, so I thought I would ask. Better safe than sorry, as it were.

I've not really done repair jobs on my trailblazer before, so I really appreciated all the helpful and experienced folks on this forum, and their willingness to help out others with less experience so they can get the job done right. Again, Thanks!

The_Roadie

Lifetime VIP Donor
Nov 19, 2011
Portland, OR
Ahhhhh. Nothing better than to have a mentor physically with you while you learn. My Dad didn't work on vehicles, but his best friend was part-owner of the local small-town Chevy dealership and was also head mechanic. There was my early mentor. (Also the source of my nutty loyalty to GM).

You can always troll your neighbors to acquire a mentor. Good craft beer usually works. I collect a lot of good beer that way myself, and it's cool because it's a currency my gluten-allergic wife can't spend. :wink:

Reactions: BlazingTrails

crawfish

Original poster
Aug 31, 2014
Well, I located a 14" monkey wrench today. It worked like a treat! Had both inner and outer tie rod ends on both sides changed in about 1.5 - 2 hours. Not too bad, considering I've never done it before. Having the right tool for the job definitely makes things a LOT easier!! Many thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now its off to get an alignment.....

The_Roadie, agreed. My younger brother is more mechanically inclined and does a lot of his own repair work, but he is >500 miles away. I pester him a lot with questions though. :smile: I'll keep the craft beer thing in mind...

Thanks again!

Reactions: Mounce

IllogicTC

Dec 30, 2013
Reactions: meerschm

meerschm

Aug 26, 2012
I like the as long as I'm home part.

I remember coming home to have the new boy scout troop leaders wandering around my (now my e-wife's) garage looking for stuff they thought they should have.

I may have raised my voice just a tad.

Reactions: Mounce

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ready67

Members Online

No members online now.