Which headlight bulb is the DRL in Canada?!

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
I've seen that it is supposed to be the high beam (physically lower bulb) on the Envoy. However, on mine, it is the low beam (physically higher bulb). Are bulb descriptions wrong, or is the DRL supposed to be the high beam?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
It's the low beams that are modulated to a lower rate by the headlamp module (aka: relay). In older vehicles, it was the highs that were the DRL but were crudely lowered by a relay that would connect them in series so they would be running only on 6v each.

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
It's the low beams that are modulated to a lower rate by the headlamp module (aka: relay). In older vehicles, it was the highs that were the DRL but were crudely lowered by a relay that would connect them in series so they would be running only on 6v each.
Ah, thank you. So the listings that say High Beam, DRL are actually just more for generic information and not model specific?

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Not sure what you're talking about but DRLs have been on GM vehicles in both the US and Canada since the 90's. Maybe ads on for sale sites may be out to lunch.

Maverickxeo

Original poster
Jan 25, 2021
Alberta, Canada
Not sure what you're talking about but DRLs have been on GM vehicles in both the US and Canada since the 90's. Maybe ads on for sale sites may be out to lunch.

I mean on sites like Canadian Tire. It lists the 9005 bulb for the Envoy as a highbeam, DRL; and the 9006 as just lowbeam.

What I was trying to say is exactly that - I believe the listing is wrong (or that the 9005 is/was used for a DRL on other vehicles and the description was carried over).

I guess what I am trying to say - was there a time when a 9005 bulb was used as both a highbeam and a DRL on a different model? Not that it matters - I know the listing is wrong for this application - but it's more curiosity now, haha.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Probably at the time, like I explained, when they did use the highs in series in other vehicles. A lot of times, parts listings like that are wrong. There used to be listings for belts, asking for 130A or 150A alternators. It was actually a difference between SWB and LWB where the power steering pulleys were different. Alternators were the same 150A for both. Those are mostly corrected now but still see the odd error here and there.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bobby2175

Members Online