Which front struts to use? Bistein 4600's or 5100's?

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Last summer I rebuilt the front suspension on my '04 Trailblazer EXT. I replaced the rear shocks, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings as well. I replaeced the brakes all around, as well. 1-1/2” BORA wheel spacers and a set of new Firestone 265/70R17 Destination A/T2's rounded out the package. I also added ReadyLift's 2” leveling kit. This is what I have come to learn is referred to as a 'top hat' style. It bolts to the top of the strut mount and then to the strut tower, basically between the strut and the truck. I have also heard these referred to as 'death lifts'! The rear got a 1” aluminum spacer between the truck and the top of the coil spring. Forgive me! I didn't know any better!

I have now decided to put a winch on the front of Snowball (so called because 1. she's white and 2. that's what this project has sort of done!). I want to beef up the suspension a bit to handle the added weight. I have coming a set of Moog 81114 front springs, and Moog 81069 Z71 Tahoe rear springs along with a set of Rough Country 0-2” shocks for the rear. I am aware that this is going to firm up the ride!

The ReadyLift top hat kit will be replaced with a BDS lift kit that replaces the upper strut mount, it's kit #121201. The rear aluminum spacer can stay.

My question is what strut should I use for the front? I was originally going to go with Bilstein 4600's, but then I read in their description 'factory ride height'. My next plan was to go with Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable 0-2.5” lift. Checking into them, however, I get the impression that the extra lift comes from the strut itself, with the seat being adjusted with the snap ring and the original upper strut mount being retained.

The 5100's are going for $145 EACH, and they seem to be back-ordered until April, at least according to Summit Racing's website. No-one has them in stock right now! I can get a pair of 4600's for about $165, so I would like to go that route if possible, but don't want to use them if they wouldn't be appropriate use with the BDS lift.

So what sayest thou? Go with the 4600's or bite the bullet and spring for then 5100's? I won't actually get around to installing all this until later this spring, so the 5100's being back-ordered isn't that much of a factor, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to! This isn't going to be a real hard core off road truck, so maximum suspension travel isn't a consideration, either. This being an IFS truck, I also plan to install limit straps so the CV axles don't come apart! That could really mes up an afternoon!

Any guidance that could be provided will be greatly appreciated, and I promise to leave you good wishes in my will!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
The 5100's are height adjustable so if you front drops because of the weight if the winch and its natural rake, and lift the front up to 2.25".

Shock Warehouse seem to have them in stock.

I got the 5100 for the rear and like them. The rears are just longer to allow you to spring lift it a bit, I think one extra inch. I might get the 5100 for the front to take the rake out.

Reactions: Matt

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Thanks, mooseman! I had been to that site when searching for the 5100's. Scroll down to the fitment list they all say Bilstein back-order.
If I do have to back-order the 5100's I'm going to get them from Summit Racing. I've ordered from them before.
$145 each though! Ouch!

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Prices have gone through the roof on everything! I think I paid half the price 4 years ago for the rears compared to today. Might still be cheaper than getting a lift kit in addition to regular new struts.

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
Prices have gone through the roof on everything! I think I paid half the price 4 years ago for the rears compared to today. Might still be cheaper than getting a lift kit in addition to regular new struts.
True, but I've already bought the lift kit.

2advanced

May 25, 2019
Central California
My question is what strut should I use for the front? I was originally going to go with Bilstein 4600's, but then I read in their description 'factory ride height'. My next plan was to go with Bilstein 5100 ride height adjustable 0-2.5” lift. Checking into them, however, I get the impression that the extra lift comes from the strut itself, with the seat being adjusted with the snap ring and the original upper strut mount being retained.

I am very happy with the 5100's. I swapped out all the stock shocks/struts with them and while the ride definitely feels more confident and stiffer, it is not too stiff.

When I first installed them, I used the 5100's snap ring (stock upper mount) to adjust the ride height to the highest setting (2.25" lift), and while at first it was a bit taller than my original 2" Rough Country Spacer Kit, it seemed to "settle" after a few months to a point lower than where the RC Kit was at.

The highest setting on the 5100's is 1/4" shorter than the spacer is tall, so I should have known this wouldn't have worked the way I wanted (2.5" lift). I eventually took it all back off and set snap ring to the stock setting and re-installed the RC Spacers to regain the lost height.

1_1.jpg

1_2.jpg

Last edited:

flyboy2610

Original poster
Aug 24, 2021
Lincoln, Ne.
2advanced, your post seems to confirm what I had suspected to be the case, that the '0-2inch lift' statement in the 5100's specs meant that the 5100's themselves were providing the lift, not that they were intended for use with suspensions that are stock to 2inch lifted. I've read posts made by others on different forums that seem to confirm that that is the case.
Anyway, I ordered 2 4600 struts from CarId this afternoon. The Tahoe springs for the rear and the new springs for the front came on Monday, the Rough Country shocks for the rear came yesterday.
That type of spacer is what I'm going to be installing. Right now I have the ReadyLift spacer that bolts to the top of the existing strut mount. Not ideal, I know.

Last edited:

2advanced

May 25, 2019
Central California
2advanced, your post seems to confirm what I had suspected to be the case, that the '0-2inch lift' statement in the 5100's specs meant that the 5100's themselves were providing the lift, not that they were intended for use with suspensions that are stock to 2inch lifted. I've read posts made by others on different forums that seem to confirm that that is the case.
I think your initial suspicion is correct. These shocks are designed to work with a 2" lift, whether that be via a spacer OR via the snap rings.

DonCorwin

Mar 7, 2022
Auburn, maine
Last summer I rebuilt the front suspension on my '04 Trailblazer EXT. I replaced the rear shocks, sway bar links, and sway bar bushings as well. I replaeced the brakes all around, as well. 1-1/2” BORA wheel spacers and a set of new Firestone 265/70R17 Destination A/T2's rounded out the package. I also added ReadyLift's 2” leveling kit. This is what I have come to learn is referred to as a 'top hat' style. It bolts to the top of the strut mount and then to the strut tower, basically between the strut and the truck. I have also heard these referred to as 'death lifts'! The rear got a 1” aluminum spacer between the truck and the top of the coil spring. Forgive me! I didn't know any better!

I have now decided to put a winch on the front of Snowball (so called because 1. she's white and 2. that's what this project has sort of done!). I want to beef up the suspension a bit to handle the added weight. I have coming a set of Moog 81114 front springs, and Moog 81069 Z71 Tahoe rear springs along with a set of Rough Country 0-2” shocks for the rear. I am aware that this is going to firm up the ride!

The ReadyLift top hat kit will be replaced with a BDS lift kit that replaces the upper strut mount, it's kit #121201. The rear aluminum spacer can stay.

The 5100's are going for $145 EACH, and they seem to be back-ordered until April, at least according to Summit Racing's website. No-one has them in stock right now! I can get a pair of 4600's for about $165, so I would like to go that route if possible, but don't want to use them if they wouldn't be appropriate use with the BDS lift.

So what sayest thou? Go with the 4600's or bite the bullet and spring for then 5100's? I won't actually get around to installing all this until later this spring, so the 5100's being back-ordered isn't that much of a factor, but I'd rather not spend that kind of money if I don't have to! This isn't going to be a real hard core off road truck, so maximum suspension travel isn't a consideration, either. This being an IFS truck, I also plan to install limit straps so the CV axles don't come apart! That could really mes up an afternoon!

Any guidance that could be provided will be greatly appreciated, and I promise to leave you good wishes in my will!
That depends on what you're doing with the vehicle. When I wasn't planning on towing with my Saab 97x, I replaced the existing shocks with Bilstein 4600s. Those are their TOURING shocks for the Daily Driver. The 5800 series is meant if you plan on towing with your SUV or truck. Now that I have about 60k on the 4600s and I'm towing a boat, it's time to upgrade to 5800s.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Firebaugh86

Members Online