Which AC Delco Coil Pack?

bfairweath

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
I was about an hour into a two hour freeway drive yesterday and the SES light flashed for about 10 seconds and cruise control disengaged. Light did not stay on. Ran terrible for most of the rest of the way but made it home. P0300 was stored (Random misfire- I knew flashing SES was a misfire). Have driven the truck a few more times since while monitoring with Torque App. Truck is mostly running fine, but today Torque App caught several hundred misfires on cylinder 3. Only happened twice - not consistent, and only when accelerating at highway speed (didn't floor it, but accelerated enough to downshift). Truck did sputter a bit corresponding to the misfires, but SES did not flash.

I'm going to try replacing the coil pack on #3. Much has been written here about which brand to use. Consensus seems to be AC Delco. It appears as if there are two part numbers for a I6 - 12568062 and 19300921. First part number is $50, second is $98 (on Amazon).

Anyone know the difference, besides price? I'm guessing 12568062 supersedes 19300921.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
If you look at the pics of the ACDelco, it says Delphi on it so you can also buy that one, probably much cheaper.

bfairweath

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
P.S. - don't leave a Bluetooth transmitter plugged in to your OBDII port overnight. Battery will drain down to nuthin'.:duh:

Last edited:

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I leave mine plugged in on a regular basis, never an issue.

Dec 5, 2011
Central Pennsylvania
P.S. - don't leave a Bluetooth transmitter plugged in to your OBDII port overnight. Battery will drain down to nuthin'.:duh:

Your battery is either "marginal" or you have another power drain. I have a WiFi OBDII transceiver plugged in 24/7 and will leave it parked for days at a time without issue. This is in addition to my Kicker amp that has a habit of turning on even when it shouldn't (Pacific Audio Components aftermarket amp kit for install - anytime interior lights come on the amp comes on, though it should be only when the HU is on).

bfairweath

Original poster
Oct 20, 2013
Neenah, WI
I verified that my OBD device continues to transmit Bluetooth even with the ignition off. My battery might be marginal. It's about five years old. I am in Wisconsin too so the battery is less efficient in the cold (even though it was 47 here yesterday). However, haven't had any problems since recharging the battery last week and keeping the device unplugged.

Just an update on my original post. Truck ran okay most of last week, but started to act up yesterday. Threw a P0303 code. I already knew cylinder 3 was the problem from monitoring misfires from the Torque app, but it was good that the ECU effectively verified my diagnosis. Took the #3 coil pack out this afternoon. Plug well was dry. I do get oil in plug wells. I suspected that would be the problem, causing the coil pack to short out. Must have just failed of old age. Just turned 196,000 mi. Installed the Delphi coil back. Back to running well. I'm guessing I'll be repeating this job five more times over the next few months.

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
Oil is not a conductor so it will never result in a short.

I had water short my #4 coil a few times. Somehow it (or any others) never died in 315k miles and 14 years.

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
Browsing Amazon I found a set of six coils for $70. That's what I pay for used ones......
Now turning 17 my TB has only had one coil fail - curiously at the same time as the fuel pump.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I would be weary of those cheap Chinese coils. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Reactions: Redbeard

Mektek

May 2, 2017
FL
It can be a crapshoot with Chinese stuff. But they also produce some very high quality stuff too. I have a have a wheel hub and fuel pump that are nearly a year old and trouble free.
The replacement coil was a used black coil with nothing printed on it - also working fine. The spare coil I have is a used one that has a white top and nothing printed on it. With the coils I'll just replace them one by one as they fail. So far only one original coil has died.
With a truck turning 17years old, it doesn't make sense to put big dollars into parts that may outlast it anyway. These parts all together cost about as much as one real ACDELCO coil so I can keep the old truck running for a song:2thumbsup:

Reactions: Mooseman

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online