where do you buy parts?

salvo2002

Original poster
Dec 5, 2011
I would like to get some community input on where you buy your parts. I know this will probably depend on what parts you are buying, but in general I'd like to get a poll of the community's favorite parts retailer.

Some retailers that I've seen members getting their parts from (here and over at Trialvoy)

NAPA
gmpartsdepartment.com
RockAuto
Advance Auto
Autozone
Carquest

Also, is there a site like realoem.com (for BMWs) that lists oem part numbers? I got a PDF from TrailVoy that is somewhat similar but it doesn't seem to be comprehensive. I know gmpartsdepartment.com has a drill down list of parts with images, but they don't list the parts numbers! or at least I haven't found a way for them to be displayed.

tbuckalew14

Nov 20, 2011
I get a lot of stuff from advance auto parts. They always run good deals...like 20% off and $50 back when you spend x amount. When I changed my wheel bearings I had a 50 off 150 coupon code. Placed two separate orders and saved 100 bucks.

07Blazerman

Dec 4, 2011
I like gmpartscenter.net it is only $7.99 to ship everything that is not oversized and their prices are close to gmpartsshop.com

Wyle

Dec 4, 2011

Regulator

Nov 20, 2011
For the most part I buy from car-part.com. I have a few local yards that I have really good history with and am not worried about buying used parts from them. For normal maintenance items I buy from Advance Auto. My local O'rielys is overpriced and the folks at Auto Zone are dumb. They argued with me that the isn't a modern GM vehicle with an inline 6 and that I must have been mistaken. I walked the guy out, showed him my engine, then told him to go ahead and restock what I was there to buy because I had no interest in their stupidity.

Simon01

Dec 5, 2011
Depending on the parts, Autozone, Advanced, Amazon, and local dealers. I like to stick with AC Delco parts for ignition components and Amazon has good prices with free shipping.

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I've bought tons of stuff from RockAuto and they also send you discount codes for 5% off. The only downside is if you order multiple parts from different warehouses, it adds to the shipping.

Also bought a new exhaust manifold from eBay. Ordered from GMPartsShop, no problem but it was just a CPAS.

For used parts, car-part.com is easier than phoning all the local yards. That's how I found my engine at a good price locally.

STLtrailbSS

Dec 4, 2011
EBay if I have time and my dad is a service manager at penske working on rigs and he will swear by carquest for local parts but only at a certain location and they do know so much more then good ole autozone, the closest autozone to me is not in the greatest area and there are a lot of foreigners working there which wouldn't be a problem If they were knowledgable and not all ricers I will buy like blower resistors and stuff like that because its cheaper but thats about it

Bill W

Dec 5, 2011
I'm old fashioned because I don't really do any on-line shopping and I like to see what I'm getting before I buy. For that reason I usually go to Advance Auto because they're nearby and usually have what I want. Autozone and NAPA come in a close second & third.
I really should do the on-line thing more because they do offer some great discounts and most places still aren't charging sales tax. The 6%PA tax adds up.

DFWWIZ

Dec 5, 2011
O'Reilly's, Autozone, AC Delco, Ebay, Rockauto, other members
and I make my own.:biggrin:

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
usually mods for appearance is from eBay or from a auto store if it is worth getting from there, Mostly O'Reilly's, Autozone (once in a blue moon), eBay

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I have bought parts from Amazon after knowing what the part numbers are to look up exactly what I want. And if I don't need it for a few days.

HARDTRAILZ

Nov 18, 2011
Members on here...

ebay and advance auto, orielly, or autozone. They are are basically the same prices and usually whoever has a sale on oil change kit gets my business.

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
djthumper said:
I have bought parts from Amazon after knowing what the part numbers are to look up exactly what I want. And if I don't need it for a few days.

I have a Prime membership since I order a lot of stuff for my business through Amazon. Free 2 day and 3.99 next day shipping has paid for itself many times over.

Also, if you have a Costco membership, watch the coupon books. 3 times a year they have coupons for cases of Mobil 1 synthetic for around $23 a case with a limit of like 4 cases. I max those coupons when they come and sit on that oil all year.

ItsOnVoy

Nov 21, 2011
fishsticks said:
I have a Prime membership since I order a lot of stuff for my business through Amazon. Free 2 day and 3.99 next day shipping has paid for itself many times over.

When your someone that buys things a lot through the site then that does pay for itself!! It must be nice getting things in 2 days :yes: I hate waiting for items to come in the mail lol

fishsticks

Nov 21, 2011
ItsOnVoy said:
When your someone that buys things a lot through the site then that does pay for itself!! It must be nice getting things in 2 days :yes: I hate waiting for items to come in the mail lol

I run a lot of my business from home and some of the services I provide I bill at nearly $100/hr. Any time I spend running around on parts is time I spend not serving clients. No brainer.

djthumper

Administrator
Nov 20, 2011
North Las Vegas
I get a lot of my stuff from Amazon in 2 to 3 days with super saver shipping. I just don't order enough from there to warrant the cost for prime.

MichEnvoyGuy

Dec 3, 2011
It always depends on what Im looking to buy...

Motor oil? WalMart.

OEM GM Parts? Used to be compnine :sadcry: GMPartsdirect or my friend who works at a Chevy parts department (although I dont want to get him in trouble so I keep that to a minimum).

Other than that, I love Advance Auto Parts discount codes online - buy it online with a code, save $30, pick it up in the store! What did we do before promo codes?!!? lol.

I try not to buy parts on ebay too much just for warranty reasons. But if its a used part and warranty isnt my main factor, I will always check car-part.com or ebay first.

cjceg1985

Dec 8, 2011
I work at Napa i see noone buys from us, sadness... i like our parts buy still shop at the zone

Busterbrown

Dec 4, 2011
Recently, a few used parts have come by way of a local business, America's Top Auto. Based in Detroit, I think they were once banned on Trailvoy for inadvertant advertising. I think they'll be making their way over to the Nation. :biggrin:

ieatglue

Nov 20, 2011
Ever since I was introduced to Rock Auto I've never looked back!! Even with a higher shipping charge (Canada) I can still get my ACDelco parts cheaper than the asian knock-offs here :biggrin:

Dshow

Dec 7, 2011
When something needs fixed, I like to fix it now and hate waiting, so I buy most parts from Autozone. Besides getting it now, most parts I've bought so far come with a lifetime warranty, so if it fails again, they give me another one. I know alot of their parts are knockoffs, but the warranty keeps me coming back. I once bought some spark plug wires for my Honda. They were the cheapest they had and it showed. Finally, after a year, one would no longer grip the top of the spark plug. I took them back and they give me full credit toward a higher quality set. Hard to get stuff I get from GMPartsDirect.com

Sparky

Dec 4, 2011
If I need it now, Autozone (it is closest to me). If I can wait a bit, RockAuto. I'll dig around ebay for those oddball used parts or whatnot every so often, or for some snazzy aftermarket piece like my LED tail lights :biggrin:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher