when to use A4wd vs 4WD in snow?

KEEBZ489

Original poster
Jan 16, 2018
Howard Beach NY
may sound stupid , but im looking for peoples opnions on when to switch to 4wd in the snow , or do you leave it in a4wd for regular highway driving ?

TJBaker57

Aug 16, 2015
Colorado
may sound stupid , but im looking for peoples opnions on when to switch to 4wd in the snow , or do you leave it in a4wd for regular highway driving ?

This is just my own policy on the subject.

A4WD: I never use the setting. I can see no purpose for it.

4Hi: I'll use this when I can no longer see any pavement. Everything is covered by at least a few inches of snow. Patchy roads do not warrant 4WD. My speed will be no higher than I would drive in 2WD in the same conditions.

4Lo: Off road driving where I want more control over wheel speed such as going through drainages where the front bumper will likely contact the other side before the front wheels have hit the bottom. I also put the transmission in 1st for this sort of thing. I do the same if I get stuck in deep snow. Then I want to insure I just turn the wheels slowly and not spin.

linneje

Apr 26, 2012
I have always use A4WD in places where the traction is inconsistent - e.g. around the city, lots of slippery patches on the roads, but dry parking lots. It still lets me park without crowhopping. I also tend to use it here in the winter on the highway if the pavement is not dry, but not really needing 4WD. You get just a little power to the front wheels (I thought someone said about 10%, unless the clutches fully engage in the transfer case - I could be wrong).

Reactions: C-ya

Mooseman

Dec 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
A4WD is a useless setting. You either need extra traction or you don't. If you do, use 4hi. If you don't, 2hi. Keeping it in A4WD when you don't need it just puts extra wear on parts that are not being used and uses extra fuel (marginally). I hated the non-selectable AWD in the Saab so much that I was actually thinking of converting it to a selectable 4x4 transfer case, which has been done.

@TJBaker57 's comments are spot on for using our selectable 4x4 system.

Reactions: Matt

TollKeeper

Supporting Donor
Dec 3, 2011
Brighton, CO
I pretty much only use A4WD with very much success. If I can tell its getting really sketchy, I might turn it over to 4WD. But I could probably count the times I have had to switch it over to 4WD in the 13 years of ownership on 2 hands.

I dont leave it in A4WD, or when used, 4WD. Only as long as its needed. Maybe my TC is wired or programmed different, but I can audibly hear the clutch pack being engaged thru my Bluetooth (bad ground on my old BlueFusion, the new USASpec doesnt do it). And as soon as I touch the gas, its engaging.

Reactions: Matt and C-ya

C-ya

Aug 24, 2012
I agree with what @linneje and @TollKeeper say about using it. I do the same thing except once I'm rolling on long stretch, I'll switch back to 2WD.

From my response in another thread:

(ETA: This is from a stop.) Here's the way I drive when in A4WD. I give it some gas to see what the rear wheels do. If there is traction, I keep going. If it starts to slip, I back off a little and then apply enough gas to slip the rears and engage the front. I have a G80 as well, so I try to get them spinning just enough to lock. Folks here call it a "slip/bang" system. I have only had mine "bang" in once due to trying to avoid someone and really gassing it. If you know what to expect, you can work with the system.

Reactions: Matt

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MissCrutcher

Members Online

No members online now.